585,589 active members*
3,025 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAD Software > Solidworks > Plastic material defined causes computer to slow way down and stop responding

Plastic material defined causes computer to slow way down and stop responding

I have 2006 edition and I tried to define a part with a traslucent material and it took forever to rebuild then quit responding. I rebooted and can define the object as alunimum but as soon as I try to describe the material as a plastic it causes the computer to stop responding. I have a fireGL card but havn't experienced any problems to date. Does anybody have an idea as to whats going on here?
    Thanks in advance,
    Steve

Does it do this w/ Real View on or off? Typically this is a RAM &/or Video issue and we always just didn't put in any materials if we could help it. It is strange that aluminum isn't a problem but the plastic is. If this is w/ Real View, and the part is partially transparent, then it's your video card. You could look up on SW website and see if you have the latest drivers for your video card .. this may also be an issue.
    JerryFlyGuy
    The more I know... the more I realize I don't
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Hi:
    Have you verified that the material library file being referenced is actually there?
    Check the default settings (default file locations), to make sure that it exists.
    Small problems can have big effects sometimes. I's also recommend calling your SW reseller for tech support. I've had some pretty silly problems resolved in short order by these people.

cheers