585,908 active members*
3,782 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAD Software > Solidworks > NEWBIE HELP>> How do you input a drill hole or extrude a hole that is..

NEWBIE HELP>> How do you input a drill hole or extrude a hole that is..

not 90* to the serface? I need to counter sink then drill a through hole at a 45 degree angle. I only have a few hours practice in SW and this was not covered in my book. I've spent several hours on this and am stumped.

Here is the machined part I did on a manual mill. I'm drawing it in SW for practice.

The bottom right picture shows the "through hole"

The top left shows the "counter sink" along the same axis as the through hole.

The problem I have is I can only locate the holes correctly from the 45* edge.

The holes are at a 90* angle to the 45* angle in the top right picture, the counter sink would be on the right side.

I hope it makes sense, thanks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails os2.jpg  

Never mind, I got it..

Cool beans...
    Neat project too.

I wanted to reply with adding an angled reference plane at the orgin and then offseting that same plane to where you need it.

Scott
    Some of my best finds were in the trash....

What I ended up doing:
    1. An extrude cut through all (large opening)
    2. Added a Boss for the depth of screw recess.
    3. Added a screw hole.

Probably the long way around, but it only took a few minutes.

I love this program, I'm hooked.

..no way is wrong if the results are what you were looking for.

I guess I have a habit of making a lot of construction lines, so if you were looking at one of my models you may say 'what the heck..'

But if anyone, including me, went back later to do an edit, make a change, or just see how a feature was created the contructions lines make sence.

Like, if I create a plane and reference a line or something far back in the tree, I'll convert that line just before I create the plane. I'll also rename the line or the plane and specify where I converted the line from.

I started doing this about 3 years ago, I had an assembly of a hand held bar code reader designed by a company. Within that company, some of the product was designed in AutoCad, then they got Solidworks and 3 or 4 people were doing the modeling and converting the cad files. The company had the parts rapid prototyped machined, but the models and the assembly were a mess. Took me a solid two weeks to recreate and fix everything.

If you have the opportunity, take the Solidworks essential classes.
    They are worth the time and money. I started with Solidworks 97+ back in 1998 or so. Since I was an 'old' AutoCad user I had a lot of habits to break and it wasn't until maybe a year ago I didn't have AutoCad installed. I still have AutoCad 2000, but it's not loaded. I had only one client that wanted their detail drawings in AutoCad on their drawing templates. That company has since changed over to Solidworks for all there new products, but the old ones are still in Acad.

....I'm blabing again

Scott

Oh...I wanted to ask if that part was something used in optical or in the medical research field.
    It sort of looks like parts of a restraining device.

Scott

Quote Originally Posted by pixburghenat View Post
    Oh...I wanted to ask if that part was something used in optical or in the medical research field.
    It sort of looks like parts of a restraining device.

Scott
    No it's a paintball marker part. I have a full line of stuff I make on a manual mill. I'm currently designing all my current products in SW so I can move to a cnc machine.

I only wish a would have had the balls to do it sooner, the whole thing had me intimidated a short while ago, now I'm loving it!

As far as taking classes, I wish I was at a point in my life to do-so, but I'm just too busy. I am however going through 2 "book courses" by 2 (different authors). The big drawback is the teacher is not on hand to ask questions and a large portion of information is overlooked in their teachings. Books for beginners really aren't...

I'll keep your advice in mind about the construction lines, it does make sense to use them, especially as the designs get more complicated.

I would use a single sketch (side view) laying out the center lines at the correct angle and sketch the entire hole shape to do it as a revolved cut.
    I also would model the part as half a part and mirror the second half. The center hole would need installed after the mirror feature.
    www.integratedmechanical.ca

Quote Originally Posted by DareBee View Post
    I would use a single sketch (side view) laying out the center lines at the correct angle and sketch the entire hole shape to do it as a revolved cut.
    I also would model the part as half a part and mirror the second half. The center hole would need installed after the mirror feature.
    That makes sense. Thanks for the input, at this point I wouldn't have seen it from that angle. (pun not intended)