584,850 active members*
4,199 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Hobby CNC board Help

Ok I had the board up and running great. Did all the tests had no problems. Except i was in a bit of a hurry and did not put the heat sink on the drivers chips. (Bad Idea) I'm using the 3a motors so I think what happened is it just got to hot and self destructed, smoke fire all that cool stuff. They were running pretty hot.

Anyhow now I don't get 5v on the board anymore, it's less than 1v now. That was after I took the driver chip off.

I hate to just start over, so maybe if anyone has ideas about how to check things out id appreciate it.

I guess I'll start desoldering the other chips and start testing components errrrrrr?

Note to self follow the instructions.......

Oh I'm also working on getting back on the Yahoo board. (lost my login)

Nick

No heatsinks, bad bad bad....The SLA's are real cookers! They need a large surface heatsink and a fan!
    Phil, Still too many interests, too many projects, and not enough time!!!!!!!!
    Vist my websites - http://pminmo.com & http://millpcbs.com

I am very much an amurtur at electronics, but I'm trying to figure this stuff out.

For an update. I took the hex inverters off U8 U9 and i still did not have 5v. It appears as regulator u5 gets its power from u6 that gets its power from u7. U5 is the 5v power. U7 had 36v "in" but only 1v "out" so it must had fried, not sure about u6 or u5. Dave was nice enough to send the parts when i ordered the replacement driver chip.
    Thanks Dave.

Hopefully nothing else burned up along the way, but I guess we'll see when I get the parts.

Work in progress.

Nick

If anyone is bored and there following along with my stupidity I'll let you know whats going on. I replaced the regulators and now the 5v is back. I set to v ref as speck for 3a motors. The good news is the z axis is now working. That's the one that was burned up. But the y and x are not. I assume that when the z chip popped it took out the regulators and the x and y chips. So I'll replace them next. If this doesnt work I'll probably give up and buy gecko drives. Thouse will be more fun to burn up at $115 each. (smile) Note to self: follow the instructions........

Wow this is pretty lame thread when I'm the only one posting... hahaha Anyhow I replaced the two other driver chips and I'm back in busness. Thanks Dave at hobby cnc your costomer service is great. For anyone who wants to build a kit, follow the darn instructions!!! lol

Nick

I just finished assembling the board, have a solid 33vdc at TB5 but when adjusting the Vref the maximum I get is 0.09 vdc....!!! any ideas? steps for troubleshooting the problem? Thanks for any imput...
    P.D. also don't have the +5vdc...