586,011 active members*
4,057 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking > WoodWorking Topics > Gerstner gets a friend

Gerstner gets a friend

My little old Gerstner finally got a proper friend.

I have had the Gestner for about 12 years. It is far older than that. For years it rested on a cheesy hand made rolling stand.

At my last job I began to make this but it was left unfinished when it was un-needed at my new job. It has sat in a semi finished state for about 2 years. I finally got the steam to finish it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails grester stand.jpg  

Nice ! I built one for my nite time job as a production tool maker. here,s a pic http://www.cnczone.com/forums/attach...1&d=1199765041
    riser rolling cart 2.jpg I originally had the riser stained a little light than the bottom and I ended up stripping the finish and re-staining to get it to match the bottom. I got in a hurry to finish it up. I love wood tool boxes, just something about them. I got a Union toolbox at my shop, a Lowe's china model($60 can't beat it) in my office/cnc room, and at my nite job is the above setup.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails riser rolling cart 2.jpg  

Under-dog,

That looks like a fine piece of craftsmanship. Excellent finishing job too!

I've got a Gerstner chest just like that one that my father gave to me when he retired. I'd guess it's at least 60 years old. Now I use it at my home shop to hold all my measuring devices and tooling for my CNC mill. The only thing I did was replace all the felt in the drawers as it was pretty beat up.

Did you refinish the chest or has it been kept in that condition all along? Mine could use a refinishing job. One more thing to put on my to-do list!

Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by dmparrott View Post
    Under-dog,

That looks like a fine piece of craftsmanship. Excellent finishing job too!

I've got a Gerstner chest just like that one that my father gave to me when he retired. I'd guess it's at least 60 years old. Now I use it at my home shop to hold all my measuring devices and tooling for my CNC mill. The only thing I did was replace all the felt in the drawers as it was pretty beat up.

Did you refinish the chest or has it been kept in that condition all along? Mine could use a refinishing job. One more thing to put on my to-do list!

Dennis

That is original condition. The felt was immaculate. The leather handle has the usual peeling effect. the outside is in great shape. Some one along the way broke the hook on the lock. I have contemplated either taking it off and trying to make a new hook and getting a locksmith to make some keys or jjust buying a new lock from gerstnet. Not cheap though and I would more likely do it if I were taking it into work. In my basement I dont worry about the tools so much. Maybe a new handle while I was at it if I did the lock. Both are a bit of worrk though as you need to steam off the felt first.

Tool chest

Quote Originally Posted by ZipSnipe View Post
    Nice ! I built one for my nite time job as a production tool maker. here,s a pic http://www.cnczone.com/forums/attach...1&d=1199765041
    riser rolling cart 2.jpg I originally had the riser stained a little light than the bottom and I ended up stripping the finish and re-staining to get it to match the bottom. I got in a hurry to finish it up. I love wood tool boxes, just something about them. I got a Union toolbox at my shop, a Lowe's china model($60 can't beat it) in my office/cnc room, and at my nite job is the above setup.
    Very nice. Very similar in the mechanics of the design.

Nice!
    I used to have five Gerstner chests, but am down to three...a 31" long one I have not seen anywhere else, a seven drawer machinists, and the chest with the center drawer with the machinists handbook in it. Also a 42x42x27" Hamilton type drawer chest with 11 drawers.
    I like wood.