585,996 active members*
4,544 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

3/16 Aluminum - POOR CUT QUALITY

Hello,

I am trying to cut 3/16 AL .... I found the following combination that works "better" .... Powermax 1000 - 40A - 153V - 45ipm .....
    The edge of the material is kinda' "flacky" (see pic ) I can sandpaper the edge and it goes away but is a lot of work ..... Wondering if is somethig that I do bad or what should I change ? I'm sure that I can do better than that .... FAster speed makes it worst. Thank you

Hi:
    Check condition of nozzle, standoff,what happens when you reduce feedrate. I'd go with a 60A nozzle for Al as it's a good thermal conductor.

regards

alum cut

What bit are you using? the deeper the flute depth the better....also I found after roughing use a .005 - .010 climb mill pass ( milling in the opposite direction) will do a great job cleaning that up.

Bob

blackbeard 52, We're plasma cutting here.

I am using EVERYTHING new with the 40 A nozzle ....that what's make me upset. I never did try with 60 A nozzle

Try using a bigger nozzle,I'm assuming this is a Hypertherm unit. They tend to overstate the capabilities (Im using a powermax 1650).
    I cut the feedrates back by at least 50% from stated values in owners manual.The rule of thumb I use is that you should see 2 lines of spark trails comming off the top surface in the shape of a V when you are cutting. If you see none,reduce the feedrate.this was a trick I learned from hypertherm support. It applies equally to carbon steel cutting.

regards

regards

alum

My apologies cam1...

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by cam1 View Post
    Try using a bigger nozzle,I'm assuming this is a Hypertherm unit. They tend to overstate the capabilities (Im using a powermax 1650).
    I cut the feedrates back by at least 50% from stated values in owners manual.The rule of thumb I use is that you should see 2 lines of spark trails comming off the top surface in the shape of a V when you are cutting. If you see none,reduce the feedrate.this was a trick I learned from hypertherm support. It applies equally to carbon steel cutting.

regards

regards
    Thank you much cam1 .... yes I do have a Hypertherm 1000
    I will use the 60A and I will have to calculate the voltage since I have no 3/16 in my owner manual .... also - when you mention 2 lines of spark TRAILS .... you meant the sparks go into the direction of the cut (ahead) right ?

Hi
    Sorry blackbeard52, I didn't mean to sound crass with my response.
    Zeoncomp, here are the the recommended settings for a 60A nozzle from the Hypertherm manual:

1/4" Al Pierce delay .25s, Arv voltage 141A, optimum travel speed 94 IPM (take the feedrate with a grain of salt).

Yes, there should be a V spark trail ahead of the cut.

hope this helps

cheers

Hey Cam ...
    I'll give it a try .... I have to reduce the values - I'm cutting 3/16 ....
    thank you

So I did try ..... 3/16 AL 60A tip 80PSI
    I CANNOT get the 2V sparks ahead of the cut no matter what combination I try.
    I started at 140V/90ipm went down to 140/35ipm to 145V to 135V etc ..... no sparks ahead. The quality is almost OK - far to be perfect but better than cutting with 40A tip. Any ideeas ?

Thank you

I have just cut some 1/2" Aluminium with a Hypertherm 1000 and the cut was much better than yours
    I had to use a 60A Tip for this thick Aluminium.
    The cut was not perfect because of a bevelled edge. But I could see from the cut that the 'slope' of the plasma cuts was indicating that the feedrate was too fast.
    As someone said above the Hypertherm optimum feedrates always seem to be on the fast side.

Andy

hi

my plasma esab 875 hand torch cut so poor