585,749 active members*
3,825 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

CNC Spray Painting Machine

I've been hanging out here for a while so I thought I would share one of my CNC projects. I'm in the process of building an automated painting machine for a fellow cnczone member. For now the machine will have two axis and a single HVLP spray head. In the future another small actuator could be easily added to automatically adjust the distance between the spray head and the product being painted. Additional spray heads could be added to allow for RGB mixes. Below are a couple of pictures with more to come as the build continues.

I'm looking forward to any comments or suggestions anyone may have.

Jack Baker
    Chattanooga, TN

This is the initial concept of the sprayer. A few things have changed such as the length of the shorter axis and the mount for the HVLP spray head will be adjustable. The machine will be mounted to the ceiling.

Here are most of the electronics. I'm using two gecko 203v's with a BOB from CandCNC. The control cabinet will also have an integrated PC built in. The motherboard can be seen in this picture.

Here are the two linear actuator's I will be using. These are THK GL15B models. These are overkill but I managed to pick them up for very cheap on ebay compared to the $4,500 price tag for new Lintec actuators that are not near as wide and stout as these. My smaller axis now has twice the required minimum travel of 16" for more then half the price of a new actuator with the minimum travel.

I thought I might throw in a picture of my own CNC mill. This was the mill I started on and converted. You can see the rackmount controller I built along with drawers for tooling. The controller has 4 Gecko 203v's and a GREX. I built the enclosure from 4x4 and 2x4 .25 wall tubing. I designed the enclosure for an upgrade to fit an IH or SmithyCNC mill with a square column in the near future. Currently the enclosure and mill together weigh close to 2000LBS.

Great work, keep the progress on and all the best.

This weekend I have been busy building the controller. So far I have mounted most of the components to my enclosure’s sub panel and started wiring. I'm hoping to have the controller all finished within the next 7-14 days. I will not be able to work on it much this weekend because I will be at the Mach convention in Knoxville. Here is a picture of the controller progress.

boy it's great to be around real smart and creative
    people
    Great looking machine and hope to see more on the automated painting machine especially videos

thank you for sharing

I've been out of commision with the flu, I'm hoping to continue work on this project this weekend.......