585,760 active members*
3,964 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Maho mh500 fundament problem

Hi folks maybe some one out there could help me with this one. I have just placed a Maho mh500 mill in my workshop. But after I palce it I found out that the machine is unstable. All four legs has preassure to the ground but if I by hand press the spindle backwards I'm able to tilt the complete machine lift the front legs from the ground). I have the manuals for the machine and it says no fundament needed. And the machine sould not be bolted to the flor but rest on rubber machine feets.

I have a couple of pictures of the machine and as you can se the rear feat almoust is at senter of the machine. I cant find any other place to insert legs than the 4 holes. The legs seems to be 50 mm (2 inch) Higher than original.

What should I do? And if anyone else Have this machine how is your machine placed.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails maho mh500.jpg   maho mh500_2.jpg  

This looks really dangerous! The whole thing may fall over backwards with it being so much higher off the ground! It looks like you must either bolt it down to the concrete floor or bolt it onto a thick steel plate that spreads out further to the back! & put rubber screw jacked feet at the 4 corners.
    We dont have this model but have got used to the Yaxis being the up& down motion. It is really a Horizontal machine, with a vertical attachment, so you have to always imagine you are standing behind the horizontal spindle, then the motion commands of Z- means drilling or milling into a job horizontally Y+ means milling upwards, X+ means milling to the right etc just the same as what you are used to on your vertical machines. I don't think you can change their names. If you program off the machine using a PC you will get all the correct commands swapped &done by the post processor, written will all the axis named correctly, but you will still need to take care each time yu come to work on this machine, to "swap your brain over" with your setting up & manual moves of the table. I was confused at first but did get used to it after a while. You may have to start each program with a line to tell the machine to be in either vertical or horizontal mode for the drilling cycles to work correctly &tool length offsets etc I think G17 &G18 are the ones to look at??? G17 for horizontal working & G18 when you have the vertical head fitted vertical or G19 when you have the vertical head tilted at 90degrees =sideways!

Smoregrava:
    It is not possible that these are the original rubber isolators. I used to work for MAHO, and I have never seen something like this. I believe those "feet" are only for vibration damping during transport. Normally I would install this machine directly to the floor with only some thin steel shim to prevent any "rocking" or "tilting" due to uneven concrete floor. As for reversing or changing the "Y" and "Z" axis, yes it can be done. It's going to cost you a lot of money, because on the older controls it was not just a simple constant change. Wiring must be changed and also some numerous constants too. Usually a request to the local MAHO service office to have a service man come and do it, and I can tell you they really don't like to do it, or they may just say they can't or won't do it. But it's not that hard to re adjust your brain to think in a different plane, just as the previous poster suggested.

To install the machine direktly to the floor. Seems to be the best way. I don't know why anyone have done this. But it's not safe. After lifting the machine up on the truck the machine tilt over but the machine was standing close to the wall so it did not fall complete over to the back.

"As for reversing or changing the "Y" and "Z" axis, yes it can be done. It's going to cost you a lot of money" Hey but it can be done :-). I will try to use it as it is and the I could se how it works. But its kind of a temtation when I know it could be done :-)