585,768 active members*
3,940 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Bridgeport Boss 9 Program Storage

I am trying to help a buddy get his Boss 9 to accept more than 1 program. I used these machines but I'm 8 years removed from them and i can't remember the details. We can get this program into the machine:

:1234
    N10 T1/1.00
    N20 G90 G0 T1 M6
    N30 S1300 M3
    N40 M2
    N50 M30

The problem is when we try to change the program number to :1235 and send it again, it gives question marks. We have to clear the memory each time and then load a different program. We would like to have about 10 small programs in memory at all times. Is there supposed to be a % at the beginning or at the end when sending this program? Is this the correct format for multiple programs? thanks for any and all help!

It has been 21 years since I wrote a program for a BOSS 9 but it all looks correct except I do not recognize the /1.0 behind T1.
    I would only use the M30 because this returns the stack pointer to the top of that program. If it reads the M2 first it will return the stack pointer to the beginning of whatever is in memory.
    Tool length offsets and diameters are usually in the tool table.
    You may have to INSERT the second program if using port A. You may be able to upload a second program if using EZLINK and port B but best that someone using this machine now answer those questions.

George
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Thanks for the input. I think you are correct about the tool lengths. I may be confusing this machine with the Boss 7 I also ran that had the automatic tool changer, or tool launcher I should say. I will try a few more things including your ideas. Thanks again.

I have a boss 10 but since there isn't much room in there for programs as it is I've never loaded/stored more then 1 program at a given time..

the /1.0 isn't something I've put in any programs either.

b.

Hello,
    I have a boss 8 so this may not help. On mine the T1/1.0 means that you are calling tool1, the 1st / mark is for loading either the toollength offset or the tooldiameter offset. The 2nd / mark would be for the other offset but you have entered 1.0 for the 2nd one. I forget which is which as I just would enter T1//
    This allows the use of your stored toollength and diameters in the tool register.

On the loading more than 1 program, What are you changing to send a different program? Is it a totally different program or just changing the name? For instance, 1234 changed only as the file name in windows,but not in the program. The control may still read the 1st line of the program which if it is still 1234 the control would think it already has the program in memory.

Hope this helps,
    Cutmore

we are changing :1234 to :1235 in the first line of the program. Would you mind telling me how you are loading your programs? What transfer software do you use? Are you using Port A or B. Also, are you loading through the Setup Load screen or the Setup Edit screen? Thanks for the info.

Hi,
    I am using EZlink software, PortB I go to edit, load, from REM.
    In order to establish communication between the pc and the Boss, 1st connect the cable to port b on the machine, then start EZlink and set the baud rate the same as the Boss. then go to the Edit menu and press the execute button. An asterisk should appear in the display. Then Go to the pc and the F3 button will start the Ezlink software. Now on the Boss press scroll to edit load from Rem and press execute. Type in the file # and execute again and the file should load.

Hope that helps,
    Cutmore

we will try that. It is almost the same except we are using port A and simply send the program from the setup edit screen. we will try your way. Is sending the program back basically the same except you use the send to remote? we have tried over and over and can't seem to get anything out of the machine. Have you ever been able to send to the PC? We get nothing, almost as if the send function is not working. It just hangs. No errors or anything just nothing. thanks again.

Hi,
    I can send to the pc fine using port B. What software are you using? I know if the Baud rate does not match you will have trouble going either way.
    Sending is from the edit, load to REM . I think Port A is for in only.

Cutmore

I was told that Port B was only for 4800 baud.
    I used port A for editing and uploading/downloading using PROCOMM.

George
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

thanks to all for the info. I don't know the name of the exact program he's using, it never came up. I do know i have a copy of procomm I can send him. Do you remember the process you used to send from the CNC to the PC Machintek? I ask because you are, or did, also use port A like us. We can get it to load to the CNC just fine but we are not getting the CNC to PC part to work. If you could remember the key sequence on the CNC to send then that would be beyond fantastic. I think the port B sequence is pretty straight forward by going to Setup Load, send to remote option, but the Port A sequence i think may be different. We can work on the multiple program issue later once we get the two-way communication figured out.

It has been a long time. Using the ALT key and P (Ithink) you can get into PROCOMM set up. Nothing strange here. 8 data bits, 2 stop bits, Xon Xoff enabled, no parity. The proper cable. BAUD rate to match. Start low like 1200.
    Here is what drove me crazy until i figured it out. Press page down to start a down load to the PC. here you need the entire path of where you want to store it with the file name following DOS rules. IE: C:\temp\test.txt
    Go to machine and go to load, to remote, select the program., and execute.

If I am in front of a machine, it comes back to me pretty quick. I am not in front of a machine so this is a good start.

George

drjimmy,
    I am using EZlink software from Bridgeport to communicate. I am using the bottom right round com port connector. In the picture it is hard to see the little black connector, but I am pretty sure that is port b.
    If you want a copy let me know I will send it to you. Do you have a manual for the machine? If not I could scan some pages for you.

If you wouldn't mind, I could use a copy of Procomm. I have 2 Leadwell vmc's and I think Procomm can dripfeed the Mitsubishi control that those have.

Cutmore
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails com ports.jpg