585,880 active members*
3,842 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > Controller Cards > Mach3 Board only has 4 input pins how to connect Limit and homing when 3 used?

Mach3 Board only has 4 input pins how to connect Limit and homing when 3 used?

Hi all I have a common Mach3 board has four output pins and four input pins and I want to uase limit swithches and homing switches the problem is I need three free input switches and only have one of the four available free. Is there a work around please?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails MACH3 Board Pic.JPG  

re: Mach3 Board only has 4 input pins how to connect Limit and homing when 3 used?

Use the first three inputs for X,Y,Z home sensors. Now put all of the LIMIT switches in series, so if anyone get bumped it stops the machine, all of these will go into the four input pin.

Some people use the HOME switches as the limit switch as well but that only covers on end of the limit, much better to put all the limits together unless you have plenty of input pins.

Russ

re: Mach3 Board only has 4 input pins how to connect Limit and homing when 3 used?

Hello Russ, what do I do about my E.Stop which already uses one input pin? Also I have a probe using another input pin what do I do with that?

Quote Originally Posted by mcmec View Post
    Hello Russ, what do I do about my E.Stop which already uses one input pin? Also I have a probe using another input pin what do I do with that?

If you don't have a dedicated estop input you need to use one of those input pins for that item. You can wire two home sensors to the same input, because the machine only looks at them one at a time. For example it will home Z axis first then X or Y depending on how you configured your machine. So you can use the same input for two home switches like X and Y.

Russ

Re: Mach3 Board only has 4 input pins how to connect Limit and homing when 3 used?

Hi. I connected in parallel to input 3 capacitive PNP sensors HOME XYZ , all limit switches NO are also parallel to input 2, e-stop to input 1 and Probe to input 4. Eeverything works fine. In Mach3 use the settings
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	19.7 KB 
ID:	502249Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	19.3 KB 
ID:	502251

Re: Mach3 Board only has 4 input pins how to connect Limit and homing when 3 used?

Had a similar board, all limits were to be wired in parallel and all home sensors wired in parallel as well.

Hi,
    OR buy an Ethernet Smoothstepper. Has 51 Inputs and outputs. Compatible with Mach3 and Mach4.

Craig