585,930 active members*
3,817 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

WolfGang Eng Spindle

Well I figured sooner or later I would post some pics of this on my machine..

Here they are..

This is the Wolfgang eng Spindle (guy sells on ebay.)

it's the 350 model.

Motor swapped for a sewing machine motor and variable speed control. Has more guts then stock motor (although the stock motor is more then capiable considering the passes you would be doing with this spindle anyway). Got the pulley from bbman.com (I think) since they were the only ones who seemed to have small pulleys with 6mm bores...

Either way his spindles are VERY nice...

b.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P2110019.JPG   P2110021.JPG   P2120019.JPG   P2120022.JPG  

what a wonderfull idea to reuse a sewing machine motor! Definitaly will be adding this tidbit to my ressource info.

Thanks!

Lucas.

Yep the sewing machine motor makes a great spindle motor. Could be a little quieter but has the power and can run a long time. Becides being cheep (since harvisted out of a old machine) light weight and has the speed control and power buttons.

Could be a little better balanced and does not like huge side loads (ie belt tention)

All in all a nice package. It was either this or I have an old Dewalt scroll saw motor that was high on the list for use in this way.

Also since the motor spun the opposit way the standard motor did I could mount it on top which gets it a little more out of the way.

b.
    /

wolfgang314

Is his ebay user name (guy who makes/sells these great spindles.)

b./

What can of cutting speeds can you get for engraving wood with that spindle?

Cutting speeds depend on the tip. In that plastic I'm running 20-40ipm but are really light cuts..

It's only a 1/8" tool shaft.

Really depends on the motor and probably how long your bearings life span will be. But seems like a very quality unit. For sure would last longer then a typical dremal. Also would run way cooler tool temps (due to better bearings and contributing less to heat from them vs a dremal bearing and motor shaft adding heat to the bit)

Cutting speeds are a factor of load, material hardness ect.. So hard to say what the cutting speed is with a given spindle.

b.

Nice idea on the old machine motor.

I also have one, will keep you motor in mind if I end up replacing the one I got from him.

Just be ware of the direction yours rotates before making up your bracket..hehe Mine happened to spin the oposit way of his motor thus had to be mounted above. Which really worked out better anyway.

But either way a very easy mod. + gives you variable speed built in (if that is how your motor was on) and a on/off switch.

I did have one of those variable speed controls for routers though. Didn't seem to work right on the stock motor though. I don't think it pulled enough current or something as it seemed to work fine with a standard router motor.

b.

Engraver Bits!!

Almost forgot..

Incase anyone wanted to know.. The engraving material pictured is Gravoply2

And I got my engraver bits from Ray Jakas at Techno Inc. www.technocnc.com (I think he might be away till 2/25/2008 )

Started out with their engraving kit which had 14 bits (2 each) of their different 1 flute engraver bits..

It was very helpfull to have a bunch of different bits to choose from to play with and figure out which one was best for a given job. Plus since they are 1/8" bits they are not to expencive individualy..

Till I found them I was a little lost trying to figure out where to get this type of engraver bit (for real small work) Those letters are less then 3mm tall by the way)

Anywho hope that helps some one.

b/

Quote Originally Posted by wcarrothers1 View Post
    Just be ware of the direction yours rotates before making up your bracket..hehe Mine happened to spin the oposit way of his motor thus had to be mounted above. Which really worked out better anyway.

But either way a very easy mod. + gives you variable speed built in (if that is how your motor was on) and a on/off switch.

I did have one of those variable speed controls for routers though. Didn't seem to work right on the stock motor though. I don't think it pulled enough current or something as it seemed to work fine with a standard router motor.

b.
    I was thinking of picking up one the router motor controllers, thanks for the heads up, saved me a few $$.
    I have not ordered from they yet, but when I get the wolfgang back form having a mount made I thought I would try them, will also check out your suggestion for bits.

george

am i mistaken in assuming the belt is a o-ring? it looks like one..

For the moment the belt is the oring belt that was used with the orignal motor. The pulley is for small tooth belts which have not come in yet.. Sooner or later I will change it out..

Really had issues finding small pullys this size.. So had to live with this one with small teeth. I was going to put it on the lathe and make a belt grove for it perhaps but haven't..

The belt drive is an area which could use some improvement in design. Figure especially if some one was putting large loads on the bit..

b.
    b.

Would be interested in the part numbers and source you use when you replace the pulley and belt. I agree the 0-ring belt looks to be the only thing that might cause problems.

jacek, You can see a close up pic of the 0-ring and motor Wolfgang provided here.
    http://romaxxcnc.proboards59.com/ind...ead=1202506261

george

bbman.com was were I got the pulley. Was the only place that I could find with real small pulley's and metric bores (seeing the motor was from china of course out of a cheep sewing machine it had a 6mm shaft)..

bbman was great to work and very responsive. ..

b./