585,556 active members*
3,406 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

x,y programming on sl 40

My shop is making a part that has 4, 3/4-16 holes on the face. We are using a single point thread tool to cut the threads. It is programmed in X and C, posted off of Gibbs. When ever you need to open up the threads, you need to go to programming and have them make the changes and re-post it. It takes 36 pages of code to make .700 of threads in one hole! I'm trying to get them to re-program in X and Y, and use cutter comp, but they are having trouble getting it to work. I tried to write a variable program for this, using a variable for the cutter dia, kind of a hand-made cutter comp, but I'm pretty rusty at this. I can get the thread tool to the center of the hole, but it wants to cut the threads off-center. Anyone got any ideas? Thanks alot.

You can't use cutter comp while in the g113 mode.

Thanks - I'll pass the word about being in the g113.

G112 & CUTTER COMP

The code you are looking for is Polar cordanate programming G112 in the Haas Manual. Yes you are allowed to use mill style cutter comp with this type of code. There is an example in the 2007 manual that is available off of the Haas Web site for free. Simplly go to Customer Service and select Manual Updates. There you will find the book. Ultamatley you will have to have a post from Gibbs that will out put polar cordanate's. I have a mastercam file that I created in ver 9.1 if you are interested. If you need a sample program then just contact Haas Applications and ask for Gary Scott and I will be more than happy to help you out. You can contact the factory @ 1-800-331-6746 7-5 pst.

Thanks alot for the info Gary. I'll pass it along to the programmers.

Interesting. My machine alarms when using it. Must be doing something wrong.