585,898 active members*
5,269 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Events, Product Announcements Etc > Polls > Would you share your drawings/gcode?

View Poll Results: Would you share your designs on a free site to help out others?

Voters
508. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes! I would love to see a site like this!

433 85.24%
  • No, I spent the time designing them, they're mine!

17 3.35%
  • Perhaps, If I got something out of it.

58 11.42%
Page 1 of 4 123

Would you share your drawings/gcode?

I have read a number of posts where users on this forum generously help others out by sharing gcode, dxf drawings, or other files. But when I was very new to this whole CNC thing, I would have found it very helpful to get some sample dxf drawings to test out the new machine. I'm sure I'm not the only one who has build a machine without knowing much about CAD or GCode.

I have much more experience in webdesign and programming than I do with CNC, and already have the webservers to work with.

My idea here is to start a free site with a database that users can freely share their gcode, dxf files, ai drawings, or commonly used templates or whatnot. This could put all of these files together, and instead of wasting time drawing up a common part that others have used, you could quickly search and download it for free.

I believe this type of sharing could be beneficial to many people! For example - if you are planning a new cnc and need to get a dxf for a different spindle clamp- you may be able to find it on the site, and cut it and have it ready by the time your new spindle arrives!

Other common things I never could find dxfs for when designing my DIY CNC are motor mounts and other little things. Since these are so common, I figure it would be easier and beneficial to anyone to share them and keep them in once place.

Any interest in this idea? Or other ideas to add to this idea? I could have the website up in no time.

I like that idea also. We are supposed to be hobbyist in general, yes I know, we have many professionals and business types on board, and that's a good thing. Mostly, ideas and concepts should be shared amongst like minded folk. I think these ideas from hobbyist are, free knowledge, until copyrighted or trademarked and if we enter into a free trade zone, we can exchange ideas and drawing blocks without, hopefully, ruffeling any feathers. I hope this take off, Cheers.

Just in case you have not seen it yet, there is an excellent thread on this fourm "http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19346" where art and files are freely exchanged.
    Good Luck

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Chips View Post
    Just in case you have not seen it yet, there is an excellent thread on this fourm "http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19346" where art and files are freely exchanged.
    Good Luck
    I have seen a similar thread at least. I think there is one on the mach3 forum as well. I just have been thinking about a dedicated site for a while, I think it may get more attention than just a thread or a section on a forum. I like the idea of having an easy site to remember and go to and be able to request or directly search for what I would need instead of clicking through a forum. Just my train of thought... Any suggestions for the site?

Good idea!
    Keith

Yes.

I thank all the folks who have shared their dxf files. I have shared a couple files of mine but frankly they are not as good as the pros here at cnczone. Without the help and files I would still be spinning motors and cutting text. My sincere thanks to all who share...

great idea

i sure could of used some files when building my new square coloulm mill for motor mounts and such and ball screw nut holders.man was that ever time consuming,lots of fun though if such a sight is built please forward it on to me.thankyou

I'm glad to see such a high percentage of positive responses so far. I started the site yesterday and it looks great. I'm going through and testing it all and updating settings before releasing it. It will be available as soon as today, but I will keep updating it with any suggestions I get from you guys. I'll post the site when available.

OK,

I've got a beta version of the site up and working. The only known bug currently is if you upload a file with the same name as something that is already uploaded, it will overwrite the existing file. So, for now at least, if you upload something, please use a unique name - add numbers to the end or something.

In addition to drawing files, I've added a post processor files section to make it easier to find them. The look of the site will change and a few features will be upgraded as soon as I have more time to work on the site. Email or post suggestions!

Feel free to start uploading your files! I've started by uploading some common post processor files. Hopefully we can all add to this site to grow it into a great source for files for CNC users!

http://www.cutfiles.com

cxixer,

Not bad. Now you just have to wait for it to grow.

Ok I'm in! I uploaded the dxf for my DW670 spindle clamp on my cnc....only one thing...I uploaded it to Vector Artwork instead of Vector Part Files by accident so you might move it if you get a chance please? .... Sorry...it is 01:44am here :tired:

PS: Great idea!

File moved. Thanks for being the first to contribute, thkoutsidthebox!

I added "Guitar Blueprint" under AutoCad DXF files. Happy to contribute. Enjoy.

73 Yes - 4 No..... Pretty overwelming with nice folks
    Dolphin CAD/CAM Support

Yep, I'd share no problem. I love seeing how other folk code the same project, I get so much out of seeing different ways to do something and always love that "Hey! that's how you do it!" feeling.

Always willing to share and to learn
    I love deadlines- I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.

Quote Originally Posted by ImanCarrot View Post
    Always willing to share and to learn
    Me too! I believe that single thought is why a forum like this can survive and do this well! So many people on this forum have already shown how helpful they can be, and I don't know about the rest of you, but this forum is almost my entire education on CNC, and I now have a nice working 4x4 router in my shop. That probably would never have happened if I hadn't run across a forum like this! I've said it before, but I appreciate all the help I get here!

I think it will help out many users to get a lot of these commonly needed files together on one server for free. I bet almost everyone who has built their own cnc router without any other experience has had to look up either some common part dimensions (nema motor mount, router clamp), or at least a post processor file. I think this site will benefit most people by being faster and easier to find these files that are usually free anyway.

Hopefully we can get some of you nice and giving dxf artists who might be willing to post other items for CNC neophytes, too!

Well Done!

Thank you for setting up that site! I'm currently out of the country but will be happy to share when I return. We have a CAD library at work (sorry folks, not CNC related) that we generated and maintained. Great time saver to just dl any number of files to construct objects we are working on. I look forward to see how this developes.

One suggestion: A folder for "Set-Up Sheets" for those files. Indespensible for the set-up guy or gal where I work. Defines part origin, work offsets, tool offsets/diameters yadda yadda ...

Thanks again cxixer

Quote Originally Posted by d.dixson View Post
    Thank you for setting up that site! I'm currently out of the country but will be happy to share when I return. We have a CAD library at work (sorry folks, not CNC related) that we generated and maintained. Great time saver to just dl any number of files to construct objects we are working on. I look forward to see how this developes.

One suggestion: A folder for "Set-Up Sheets" for those files. Indespensible for the set-up guy or gal where I work. Defines part origin, work offsets, tool offsets/diameters yadda yadda ...

Thanks again cxixer
    I'll do what I can. I am very much a novice to CNC and can add some smaller part files and such, but one thing I can do is host a website. If this gives back to the CNC community here, at least I'm helping someone!

Quote Originally Posted by cxixer View Post
    Me too! I believe that single thought is why a forum like this can survive and do this well! So many people on this forum have already shown how helpful they can be, and I don't know about the rest of you, but this forum is almost my entire education on CNC, ....That probably would never have happened if I hadn't run across a forum like this! I've said it before, but I appreciate all the help I get here!
    Dido!

Page 1 of 4 123