585,975 active members*
4,714 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

RFQ single piece small job

Hi,

I'm new here, so go easy on me if I missed something...

I need to machine a simple tool, a tapered dowel, 14.5" long. Widest part is 1" diameter; smallest part is 5/32". There are two untapered sections.

I do not normally use CAD software but I downloaded "Art of Illusion" which I have used to create a drawing (.aoi). Art of Illusion is also able to export to .obj, .pov, or VRML, if one of these formats is more useful to you. When creating the drawing, I did not see a way to set units, so I assigned the various points in the drawing as numbers with an assumed unit of 1 inch.

If the drawing is unsuitable for production, it may still be suitable for you to see how simple the shape of this tool is. It took me 5 minutes to make this drawing on a program I have never used before, so I can provide a detailed enough description for you to make your own drawing.

I can wait several weeks for this part... I don't have a big budget for it, however. Material would be something hard that does not deform significantly at temperatures of 100-200°C, but otherwise machinist's choice. Machinist will provide material, which I will pay for.

If the price is right (please include materials, labor, and shipping to new york city in your quote) I will order a second piece. It is a hollow tapered tube which is slightly wider and a little bit shorter.

I zipped the .aoi file since this forum software doesn't allow files with an extension of .aoi. Including a .png in case you want to see roughly what the tool would look like.

Thanks in advance for your bid!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails inside.png  
    Attached Files Attached Files

I should also mention that the turning does not need to be terribly precise, and the application of the tool will allow for some relatively loose tolerances.

still need somebody to lathe this tool for me... if nobody wants to do a single piece, i understand, but maybe somebody could point me in the direction of someone who would be willing to do this, preferably in nyc...

in the meantime, i installed "BRL CAD" and messed around with it to try and create a .dxf file since most of you probably use autocad. please use this as reference instead of the .aoi file i originally posted, as i made an error in one of the measurements on that older file. (i think i created the .dxf correctly... i don't have any .dxf viewing software; i just converted this file blind from my brlcad file...)
    Attached Files Attached Files

I offer 1 pc made from C12L14.
    $1,170 CIA - shipped.
    www.integratedmechanical.ca

Your DXF doesn't show any dimensions when I open it. Can you provide a better drawing or more information about the part.