585,930 active members*
5,347 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Defining Tooling

I am just finally getting started using this software after buying it in September. I want to draw the lathe tool set that I have and know that I had found a tutorial on how to do this in the past. Can someone point me in the right direction? The tools I would like to draw are the 3/8" set of indexable tools that I bought from Enco. They say they are style AR, BR, AL, BL, & E. Do these already exhist in the software?

Thanks for you help.
    Mike

cant help not using the turning package
    but probably will be simple

hmmm seems you can "draw" them in tool definition box then save as
    under drawing name,a sort of parametric cad
    then save in your save toolfile

Here are the instructions for this. If you are in the help files and it says "Click here for further details about preparing a drawing which defines the tool geometry" You have to click on the button with an arrow head in it next to that statement. (I have attached a image file of the button to push to get the following instructions below with actual pictures to help a little more.

Tooling - Define a Milling Tool Using a Drawing

If the tool geometry is defined within a drawing and other non-drawing attribute information is added, the drawing can be accessed by the CAM system and used to display and simulate the full tool during program execution. In order for this to happen the drawing must be prepared in a particular way.

The preparation rules are as follows:

1. The main cutting part of the tool must be defined by a contour called Tip

2. Any other contours (holders, shank etc.) which are necessary to draw the tool may have any names you wish

3. The dimensions of the tool must be defined by a special text.

4. The drawing must be stored in the folder called ApplicationData which is a sub-folder of the PartMaster System

METHOD

Draw the required geometry and trace the necessary contours using the NC Contour command on the Machining menu or the NC button on the Drawing Operations Toolbar. Remember the Tip contour must be called Tip - the names of other contours can be whatever you like.

Enter the Special text into the drawing. This text must have the following format:

<TYPE=DRILL>
    <DIAMETER=6mm>
    <LEAD=8.2mm>
    <LENGTH=100mm>
    <CUTDEPTH=10mm>
    <DESCRIPTION=Centre Drill in Jacobs chuck> The dimensions must obviously be altered to suit the tool that is being defined.
    The description field is simply a text description of the tool
    The Type can be any one of the seven types allowed within the Tool definition dialog.

A typical tool drawing showing contours and special text

Save the drawing in the folder called ApplicationData which is a sub-folder of the PartMaster System
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails help button.bmp