585,954 active members*
4,650 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

VF-2 Work Light Out

Anyone have their VF-2 work light go out on them within the first couple months? I tested the bulb and it still works. I thought I would ask before I started trying to trace the circuit.

had the same problem with vf-4,coolent was splashing up to the conector on the wires and shorting it out,it would blow the (1.5 amp?) fusses in the cabinet.hope this helps.

New machine? I'd say it's not your problem.

Then again, if getting the HFO out to your place is a PITA, I understand. Just make sure that you document everything you're doing to the machine if it's still under warranty.
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by akedward View Post
    Anyone have their VF-2 work light go out on them within the first couple months? I tested the bulb and it still works. I thought I would ask before I started trying to trace the circuit.
    Not that I am trying to be a smart a** but you did check that it is switched on. One of my guys asked if we could order a replacement bulb for the light on out VF0 and all it needed was switching on; he had bumped the switch I guess...he was also embarassed.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Yes sometimes it's as simple as a fliped switch.That brings back the memory of doing that very thing to a guy that ran my machine while I was on vacation,drove him nuts for 2 weeks thinking he broke something.We like are harmless pranks here,that makes it all the more fun.

VF2 Work light

Hi akedward,

I have a question but don't want to hijack this thread. If this is improper let me know and I will start a new thread. Also, anyone with any information could also send me a PM instead of detracting from this thread.

I have a new HAAS TM-1P. I looked a VF series machine at the local HFO and those machines have 2 nice lights in each corner of the machine and seem to provide good lighting inside the cabinet.

The TM-1P lighting option is a flimsy adjustable halogen light and is basically a joke for the $300.00 price tag.

I would like to install some fixtures similar to the ones on the VF series machines in my TM-1P cabinet. If anyone knows the manufacturer and model number of those lights it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

John

Go to the local home center and look around at all of the waterproof outdoor light housings. There are low voltage options if you like. You can also install 110V stuff. I'd stay away from halogen lights due to the heat they generate. I don't know how they'd do with coolant splashed all over them and they use a glass lens (can't be good with flying debris in there).

I've also considered buying extra halogens but installing them above the doors (outside the cabinet) like the Haas High Intensity Lighting option. It's basically two lights mounted above the doors, with a roller switch. When the doors open, the lights come on. They'll give ya' a nice tan if you stand under them too long but boy do they light up the work area.
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by akedward View Post
    .....I thought I would ask before I started trying to trace the circuit.
    If you are going to trace the circuit there is, of course, the switch on the side of the control where wires may have become disconnected by vibration. There are also connectors up inside the big steel tube that carries the control. The wiring harness comes from the cabinet at the back up through the tube to the control, onto the switch then back up into the tube and out through a hole above the machine.

I opened up the control on a machine without lights one time and found the wiring for the lights already installed, just no switch and no light. So now I do have a light.

Helicopter John; hear what Mr Hotey suggests. I installed some 12 volt tractor headlights inside one machine; I figured they would handle the coolant splash okay.

Lighting Info

Hi Greg & Geof,

Thanks guys for the information. I don't think the TM-1P was designed for that type of lighting but I will remove the back cover of the control and take a peek and see if the wiring is there as the light switch position on my control currently has a dummy plate installed there. I realize that all the machines have the same control. Hopefully, they install the same wiring harness in all the machines. That would really be sweet. I currently just have a 2 bulb 48 inch fixture laying over the top of the cabinet plugged into an extension cord. Just want something more permanent and professional looking.

I went to Home Depot but the salesman said they didn't have any waterproof fixtures there. Guess I will have to go to an electrical supply house.

John

Quote Originally Posted by HelicopterJohn View Post
    ....... I currently just have a 2 bulb 48 inch fixture laying over the top of the cabinet plugged into an extension cord. Just want something more permanent and professional looking.....
    Whatta ya mean something more professional? Guess what we have on half a dozen MiniMills....professional enough for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Geof View Post
    Whatta ya mean something more professional? Guess what we have on half a dozen MiniMills....professional enough for me.
    My "professional" 48 inch 2 bulb light is hanging about 2" from the top of my new machine. A convenient rafter and some bailing wire did the trick. Works fine. Seems to be a trend here.

Quote Originally Posted by maxine View Post
    .....A convenient rafter and some bailing wire did the trick. Works fine. Seems to be a trend here.

What, no Duct Tape?

Quote Originally Posted by Donkey Hotey View Post
    New machine? I'd say it's not your problem.

Then again, if getting the HFO out to your place is a PITA, I understand. Just make sure that you document everything you're doing to the machine if it's still under warranty.

What is documenting everything you do yourself under warranty going to to for you?

If it's covered under warranty and it's a simple repair, the HFO should be reasonable about it. If it's later discovered that there are bigger issues, nobody wants them screaming that you worked on it first.

If there is nothing but some mis-installed grommet, I'm sure the HFO doesn't want to send a tech out for an entire morning to correct it. OTOH: if it's a bad board, breaker or other problem, they're going to want to know why you messed with it.
    Greg

Thanks for all the input. I'll go over what I can see on the machine tomorrow and if I cant find anything I'll call the service techs.

Quote Originally Posted by Geof View Post
    What, no Duct Tape?
    Good point, I'll add some

My 2005 VF-4 has a GFI protected outlet on the lower left side of the cabinet (from the back of the machine), the lights are wired internally through it. I've had it trip when coolant got into one of the light fixtures...

That's gold right there. I'd have taken every cover off of the machine looking for a broken wire before I'd have discovered the reset button on the GFI. It makes sense that they'd wire it that way.

Could you do us all a favor? Go back, edit that post but make the text larger and bold. It might save one of us a bunch of time someday.
    Greg

I had a look...right there below the switch "GFI Protected". I suppose this falls into the same category as 'When all else fails read the Manual'.