585,991 active members*
6,433 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking > WoodWorking Topics > Dinosaur skeleton, and other models, DXF files.
Page 138 of 224 3888128136137138139140148188
Results 2,741 to 2,760 of 4472
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry83301 View Post
    Why would you cut ON the line? Files like these are made so you can use ANY size cutter and make the parts fit! Just use cutter comp and the slots will come out the way they were designed to fit. I use an 1/8" end mill for everything up to 3/4", works fine and I don't need to change the designed part. I just scale it to the sixe of the material and go!

My 2 cents!!!

Larry
    As I mentioned in my post, there are ways around anything. Someone brand new to dxf, gcode, offsets, cutter comp could easily be misled. I'm not bashing or being negative in any way. When you first get into cnc, there is a pretty steep learning curve , servos, steppers, printer ports, post processors, lead screws, active high, soft limits, CAD, CAM, gcodes, mcodes, missed steps just to name a few. Most of the regulars here know enough of this to cut almost anything but someone new can be overwhelmed and needs things to be put a little simpler. I"m done with this subject.My comments can either be taken as I intended or not.

Cheers :cheers:

valid points Dave

you make some valid points Dave.. but the first people you should be talking to is CNCzone itself if you are on a crusade..
    this thread itself..that you are clealry subscribed to is the main offender if what you say is infact accurate. and not just scare mongering

to say the ...duh duh duh designs ...as if they made them all.... is a very broad statement..as they too have designs poached form others.

many of duh duh duh s; designs were poached from asia as well i have been into CNC for over twenty years and saw the first puzzles out of Germany by epilog laser made as samples to drive laser cutter sales many years ago .

makecnc has not just claimed copyright on its work it has registered those works with the US copyright office.long before they were seen as die stamped wood kits.

including works that others are selling as wood die cut products
    we just dont see them as our market so we dont pursure them.

The woodcraft models were originally designed by Tom Bernard FOR die cutting (hence the rounded slots) and were in fact poached by a number of Chinese companies, the designs remain the copyright of Tom Bernard. I would guess the reason the copyright holders have not acted is the problems associated with international law suits. Suing a company in China isn't easy, suing a company in the west that uses copyrighted material however is very easy. Should that copyright infringement take place across a state line (as it will if the items are web marketed) would then make a minor offence into a felony. (three of those can lead to bad news) Many of the web models people find are cheaply drawn line scans of instructions from woodcraft models that as you rightly say are low quality and need a lot of cleaning up, cleaning up a model does not transfer the ownership of the copyright.

One of the biggest problems is small companies and individuals using moving goalposts, taking a design then modifying it then claiming to own the copyright to something like a "Spongebob" model is in itself an oxymoron. The individual or company poaching the model is then claiming to own the design. In fact Viacom own the design and name "Spongebob" and it will only be a matter of time before one of these big boys turns it's attentions away from the people posting files and instead looking at the medium that is permitting them to do it.

clearly characters like spongebob are copyright and protectable trademarks

but animals and machines etc i dont know that might be a tough one

I do quite a lot of design work for a well known "Cartoon company" and as I type I happen to know they are already looking into theft of their copyrighted and trademarked property. I sell plans for models as well and much of my costs involved are not paying my draughtsmen or actually making the plans, it's licensing the trade names from their intellectual property holders that costs the $$$.

agreed i would protect my copyright as well..

That's where many people make the mistake my friend, the designs are not copyright MakeCNC,yes they are the trade-able name of for example a "Harley Davidson" agreed about harley davidson as a name if they request i will change it as in any company that feels we may be using thier name unfailrly is the property of HD and requires expensive licencing to use it.
    You will notice that even the Chinese don't use trade names on woodcraft kits as even they have a deep seated fear of companies with close to limitless funds and armies of lawyers. the chinese have been making these longer than woodcraft i have seen that for myself
    Currently I have 6 models that are to be honest amazing, there is also no way I can sell or distribute them , sure I would make maybe $1,000 on plan sales but I already know the law suit that would come from it would cost me 7 figures at least. Believe me I do a lot of contract work for some of these big companies and at this time they are looking to send a message out by making an example of somebody or a commercial entity. I don't plan on it being me

Sure I'm biased as I do indeed market models (high grade models drawn by draughtsmen with 20 years + experience, so no low grade DXF's from me) all I'm pointing out is that theft of property rights can come with massive penalties that many of the big boys are looking to enforce to proove a point.

best wishes

Dave[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by Larry83301 View Post
    Why would you cut ON the line? Files like these are made so you can use ANY size cutter and make the parts fit! Just use cutter comp and the slots will come out the way they were designed to fit. I use an 1/8" end mill for everything up to 3/4", works fine and I don't need to change the designed part. I just scale it to the sixe of the material and go!

My 2 cents!!!

Larry
    you are a smart man Larry ! i wish i had thought of that thanks

you are all nice people here i guess i should have just kept making projects instead of inviting problems by posting in forums LOL

last point

did Tom bernard design the chinese dragons and all the obviosly chinese designs buildings ..chariots the list is endless...himmnnn ?

is he Chinese ?

ProjectsandPatterns.com - Diy Cnc Projects - Cnc 3d Puzzle Check out the new Toons Road Runner cnc 3d puzzle. A funny 3d puzzle you can make with your cnc machine.

Hiya

but the first people you should be talking to is CNCzone itself if you are on a crusade
    Nah I'm not on a crusade as it doesn't really affect me, the problem is when it does.

Look at it another way my friend, if your models (which by the way look very good) currently sell at 5 bucks etc and somebody from another country buys them then lists them all at $2 on their own site where does that leave you ?

When they take your work and sell it as their own they haven't had to put in any effort or do the designs themselves, they simply had to click "buy it now" and gotten what could amount to many hundreds of hours work for 5 dollars.

Take laserBuzz and Woodmarvels, they are competitors to me but I respect them and the efforts they make, I've bought plans from both in the past and yet I wouldn't even consider posting their designs on my web shop.

Your designs are very good, I'm sure, having done the same kind of work for a lot of years, that they didn't take 10 minutes to make. A lot of effort has gone in to your work I can see that but imagine one of the less honourable people visiting your site, buying one of everything you do and spending a total of under $100, what they have the potential for is then sticking up a web site of their own, posting the files they have just purchased from you and retailing them at 2 bucks less.
    Instant online business for under 100 bucks. Now that can happen in any business but then imagine them visiting a forum and advertising the designs they have STOLEN from you in a post right under your own?? This is the issue I get annoyed about, realistically I have enough lawyers to take care of that kind of thing if it happens but not everybody does and I'd hate to see smaller companies / individuals and new starter businesses get shafted because a minority have no moral fibre and want to make a quick buck with no real effort.
    It's not you I'm getting at my friend (sorry I don't know your name) it's those that want to make money without effort and base their work purely on the efforts of others.

best wishes

Dave

Great work

Quote Originally Posted by RRK View Post
    ProjectsandPatterns.com - Diy Cnc Projects - Cnc 3d Puzzle Check out the new Toons Road Runner cnc 3d puzzle. A funny 3d puzzle you can make with your cnc machine.
    this Guy does great work super clean drawings and excellent instructions ! and i buy every new model he makes for my collection...and to cut out

his work is original copyrighted and worth every penny...i like to support great talent even when its my competitor

.i like to support great talent even when its my competitor
    Same here, I'm going to buy a few of yours I love the look of the cruiser

best wishes

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Exsecratio View Post
    Hiya

Nah I'm not on a crusade as it doesn't really affect me, the problem is when it does.

Look at it another way my friend, if your models (which by the way look very good) currently sell at 5 bucks etc and somebody from another country buys them then lists them all at $2 on their own site where does that leave you ?

When they take your work and sell it as their own they haven't had to put in any effort or do the designs themselves, they simply had to click "buy it now" and gotten what could amount to many hundreds of hours work for 5 dollars.

Take laserBuzz and Woodmarvels, they are competitors to me but I respect them and the efforts they make, I've bought plans from both in the past and yet I wouldn't even consider posting their designs on my web shop.

Your designs are very good, I'm sure, having done the same kind of work for a lot of years, that they didn't take 10 minutes to make. A lot of effort has gone in to your work I can see that but imagine one of the less honourable people visiting your site, buying one of everything you do and spending a total of under $100, what they have the potential for is then sticking up a web site of their own, posting the files they have just purchased from you and retailing them at 2 bucks less.
    Instant online business for under 100 bucks. Now that can happen in any business but then imagine them visiting a forum and advertising the designs they have STOLEN from you in a post right under your own?? This is the issue I get annoyed about, realistically I have enough lawyers to take care of that kind of thing if it happens but not everybody does and I'd hate to see smaller companies / individuals and new starter businesses get shafted because a minority have no moral fibre and want to make a quick buck with no real effort.
    It's not you I'm getting at my friend (sorry I don't know your name) it's those that want to make money without effort and base their work purely on the efforts of others.

best wishes

Dave
    Names Paul Dave nice to meet you

i agree Dave and sadly that has already happened to myself as well as others like projectsandpatterns.com i found all both our products being sold on compilation DVDs on south american websites written in spanish....so its really futile to try and do anything about it unless they are US based and you can go after them with less expense..
    i should note that Buzz while selling nice work that he did himself clearly uses copyrighted materials in that process and all of the Toys in his toy chest line are derviatives of others work ..eg woodcraft and the Asian designers.
    i guess no one really gives a crap until there is a CNC machine in Home depot for $500 and they become worth millions LOL....hasten the Day !!!

now i really better do some work here the red Baron design awaits.. my attention

Check out ProjectsandPatterns.com - Diy Cnc Projects - Cnc 3d Puzzle for new and original cnc 3d puzzle designs. Formerly (centracraft creations), projectsandpatterns.com is excited to bring you many new diy cnc projects. Cnc 3d puzzles, cnc patterns, and other cool projects you can make. We will post a link here for some free downloads we will be adding to our site.

I've been a commercial draughtsman for more years than I really want to remember (I'm old) and over that time I've worked with some of the best. Projects from $10 to $800,000,000 and the skills I have come across have varied by a huge amount.

I just purchased two models from Paul (Makecnc)(I'm going to cut them out and sell the models) and I've got to say they are fantastic quality. It's nice to see another draughtsman with such attention to detail and producing quality drawings rather than a lot of broken tat that gets passed off these days as *drawings*.

You want complex limited edition drawings you can't get else where? drop me a line, you want fantastic quality drawings at a VERY good price, drop by Pauls site.

Credit where it is due, competitor or not Pauls stuff is brilliant!!

best wishes

Dave

Very cool. I have seen very expensive kits in hobby stores, but doing it myself is a way better way. First, it is great experience on the machine, and then there is the pride factor.
    Thanks for sharing.

lost for words

i am at a loss my wife has a tear in her eye..

thank you Dave

do you have a website where i can see some of your work ?

Julie and i work hard on our Projects but we are not master draughtspeople by any stretch

we have some cool new products coming soon that are not really like the 3d puzzles but are just as interesting and fun to make and will also be able to be made and sold by our customers with no restrictions beyond our usual copyright which covers not selling the files themselves ...i will be posting a free one here in the not too distant future.

but we are not master draughtspeople by any stretch
    I'd have to disagree Paul I've worked with people charging $200 an hour and they have produced drawings of a lower standard than yours. Attention to detail in this game is critical, polylined drawings, correct mirroring, curves instead of bloody splines! this is where the differences are and that's what sets work like yours above that of many others.

my site can be found at Optical Power (along with the web shop and forums)

best wishes

Dave

do not fight the models they sell are beautiful let me say that the Latino community also created beautiful models in Honduras Argentina Peru Colombia Mexico must give credit to the young designers not to be racist Chile also i remember

files wanted

Here is the file of the apotasaurus.
    Enjoy
    Attached Files Attached Files

files exchange

Is there any1 here who wants to exchange some more files?
    Always looking to cut some new stuff by hand. I have a Hegner S2 multicut. Still looking to find a good (and not so expansive cnc) Anyone have some good adresse?

Greets,
    Christof from belguim

It's been a while since I looked back on this thread, and the recent discussion is interesting. As a moderator and also the starter of this monstrous thread, here are a few my thoughts. (Not rules, just input)

The original intention of this thread was for users to share files that they had created, similar to the pictures that were posted as samples, but not necessarily the identical files.

One IMPORTANT aspect was the files were to be shared so that another could cut something for his own personal use. Not to be profited from. Sort of a "fair use" policy.
    I don't think those who have shared their OWN files were expecting others to then go out and bulk manufacture from the file. Nor were they expecting them to on-sell the file.

From this point I will be moderating this thread in such a way that participants are sharing their own personal work, and down-loaders will only be using the files for their own personal non profit use. Obviously this is impossible to police, and I am just encouraging users to follow this as a "good will" exhortation.

Benny

Thank You Ynneb, I have been reading this thread for a while now and see the bickering and B.S. that goes along with it.

It's a simple thing people........if you didn't make it don't post it!!!!!

I love the files and as a guy that's working on building a business LOVE the stuff I can do with what is put here. BUT ....

Anyway that's just my thoughts for now, I don't talk much.....lol
    hope I didn't p anybody off I'm still learning and can sometimes use help....lol.
    Chris.....Everyday is a Good day.....if you wake up breathing!
    Joe's 2006, Mach3, Vectric software.

Talking I made it.

I made this
    Hope you like it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Elg_Kjepphest_Model space.JPG   Elg_Kjepphest.JPG  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    CNC 6040 Router Engraver
    Mack 3

Page 138 of 224 3888128136137138139140148188