585,754 active members*
3,916 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

MDI rapid vs jog problem

I've been working on fine tuning my Gecko drives for quite some time now...I just took a week or so off for other projects but now I'm back to it.

I know this is the Mach forum and this is where that my question comes into play. When I use the jog control (tab) and hold my arrow keys, the table jogs beautifully and smooth. When I attempt a rapid in MDI (G0 X35 for example) it moves in a random pulsating glitchy motion. After about an inch or so it throws my the fault on my Gecko.

I've tuned these things like crazy and nothing seems to resolve this. Then just as a thought I decided to use the jog instead. I didn't expect that to make it work so much better but it did.

Any thoughts on this? Does anyone know if these actions are truly the same? The bummer is that I would be fine if Jog didn't work right because I don't really need it, but G-code needs to work right.

I'm having a similar issue. Jog works great, but if I use the MDI to move the gantry around, I run into some problems. If I G00 x... in the same direction that I last jogged, it's fine, but if I reverse direction, the steppers put out something like 1 pulse and then stop. Then I have to activate and deactivate the "Reset" button in Mach 3 to be able to move anything again. I'll have some time to work on this in the next couple of days, and if I figure it out I'll post my solution.
    Anyone else have any ideas?
    Ciao,
    Jacob

when your in mdi are you using g0 g90 , maybe its in incremental mode ?
    A poet knows no boundary yet he is bound to the boundaries of ones own mind !! ........

Thanks for the reply. With g90 I get the same results. Sorry I didn't describe the situation completely. The Z-axis works fine in MDI, but the x does not. The x is slaved to the A-axis for a dual drive arrangement, and backlash compensation is enabled.
    Cheers,
    Jacob

Alright, I think I got it sorted out last night.
    -Updated to the latest version of Mach3.
    -Set shuttle speed to .1 in as recomended in another thread.
    -Removed backlash compensation from my slaved axis.

Now on to the limit/home wiring........