585,712 active members*
3,993 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > MetalWork Discussion > HAAS and Centroid M400 control (?)

HAAS and Centroid M400 control (?)

Anyone here with experience with both?
    Is one easier than the other to learn?

I had an oportunity to use the centroid control for about 2 years. it worked fine and had a semi-conversational control for programming that was easy to use. The control was on a 3axis mill and was not designed for production at all. It worked for our needs for a tool room mill.

I now own a Haas and feel as a comparison to the centroid system....there is none. The machine is much more ridgid. and the programiing is very easy to understand and get into. Get some manulas and play with the Hass quick code on your PC a bit and you'll get the flow of how it is in short order.....

I'm looking at adding another Haas or two to our line up and replace some older equipment....i have just grown to like them, not to mention having employees familiar with one system of programming too.

my .02 worth....

Thanks for your input.

What is Quick Code, is it for writing G code?

I've seen quite a bit of video on the M400 Centroid Control including tutorials on how to use them. Why is NOTHING available for the HAAS control?

From what I've seen on the Centroid I feel I can be making chips pretty fast, but my instinct has been to purchase a HAAS. Not having any experience in the field has me feeling leary about how to spend my money. (nuts)

Do a search on "HQC" Haas Quick Code on this site and you will see what it is and it's capabilities. You'll see pro's and cons about it too. The HQC is similar to the conversational contol the Centroid offers, but is likely much simpler in bells and whistles. The Centroid i ran was late 90's era...things are likely different now.

The centroid is quick at making chips if the parameters are set in the post code generation side of the control.

I guess it depends on if your doing production or one parts here and there......i've found if your doing production, very few conversational controls are of much use....You end up tweaking the program to be efficient and save run time. The Haas will be a better production machine and have a tendency to holds its value for resale too.

Got it, thanks.

I have owned both of these controls. The centriod is on the low end of the scale for CNC controls. It works, but is has bugs, it will make chips, it's ok for low end work, I would not say it a production machine.
    The Haas, very easy to learn, holds its value, and Hass has really thought about what a CNC control should due.
    If you have the money, buy the Haas, and don't look back, a great bang for the dollar.
    HAAS VF3-5 axis trunion
    Mastercam X3

I just got a price brake down for the control options on the Centroid, yikes!

I guess I will go back to looking for a HAAS mill..

Centroid vs Hass

Centroids are good for one offs and lots if you have to program it yourself.
    If you are a big company and have lots of money and access to a lot of employees then use a hass. Realize though when you have to do repairs a hass will eat into your bottom line very fast. There are NO parts that you can repair yourself and at over $$$/hr repairman it will not take you long to get discussed with a hass. Be careful of the silver tongue devil salesman from hass.