585,712 active members*
3,935 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

Joe's 4x4 Build - swaggs21 (Chris) - WV

I know this is probably premature to start my build thread, but I just ordered my kit and plans from Joe and I will order my controller and motors once I make a final decision on what I want.

I am deciding between HobbyCNC and Gecko and not sure which way I like better compared to the cost benefit. This CNC machine will be used for a mix of hobby and commercial uses, but mostly hobby.

As always, comments, encouragement, tips, or plain heckling are welcomed. My timeline to complete the build is July before I head out to California for a couple of weeks.

I love photography so I will be taking a lot of pics, I will apologize now

Enjoy the build swaggs and looking forward to your pics and regular updates.

It's been very quiet here lately so hard to keep interested.

Cheers,

Claudio
    - WidgitMaster Wide Router with Kress FME 800, HobbyCNC 305oz Stepper Kit
    - WidgitMaster Midi Router with Dremel

Quote Originally Posted by ClaudioG View Post
    Enjoy the build swaggs and looking forward to your pics and regular updates.

It's been very quiet here lately so hard to keep interested.

Cheers,

Claudio
    Thanks, I have everything ordered except the superstrut and other things from the BORG along with the router, which I haven't decided what I want yet.

Decided to go with the 4 Axis HobbyCNC Pro kit.

That is all for now, will start taking pics once I get some parts and some progress.

All of my parts are ordered, and some are here already.

Clear in the back are the ACME screws, they are just hidden.

Tomorrow should be the router, and about 3,000 other parts, or so it seems....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0546_small.jpg  

Looks like a good start.
    I really like the Milwaukee routers. I have a 5625 in my Joes 2006. These guys have good deals on Milwaukee. I got mine here. I think I have seen the 5625 a little cheaper on this site, but if you don't want or need the big one, the 5616 is the equivalent of the Hitachi that so many people use. Looks like they may not have that in stock today, but check back.
    http://heavydutytools.net/Scripts/pr...?idCategory=36

I went ahead with the Hitachi router for a couple of reasons.

One, it is a pretty nice router and I got it on sale. Two, the mount for it from the vendor Joe recommends is phenominal quality.

This weeekend I started the build, and since I am not the only one that will be using the machine (but I am the only one putting money into it, it is a family thing) I was talked into making a wood base for it with a torsion box top for the bed of the Hybrid to sit on.

We were only able to work yesterday for about 5 hours and got the torsion box completed and started working on the cabinetry underneath, but didn't get real far on that.

Will post pictures later this evening when I get home and get done with school work, lift, and spend some time with the GF.

K2 has a mount available for the Milwaukee as well. I have one on my 2006.
    http://cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43485&page=7 post 76.

Here are some pics of the torsion box base we are going to use for the 4x4.

It will be modeled after our current (in progress) assembly table, but still deciding on whether to wrap in in the QS White Oak like the assembly table, or doing something different like walnut and such. (There will be drawers in both tables when complete)

Current Assembly Table

Base For 4x4

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0550_small.JPG   IMG_0551_small.JPG   IMG_0552_small.JPG   IMG_0553_small.JPG  

good base table i am also following your thread...please post as much pictures as u can... i believe u will continue ur build thread in this forum..
    best regards

Figure I would say hello to another WV person. I mostly lurk on the zone until I hopefully have something worth posting. Had started gathering parts for a 2006 until some stuff came up and never really got to order joes kit. Whenever my funds get back to normal I can get started again.

Sooooo.... I see you have a Canon xti. I'll would take a stab in the dark and say kit lens but you may have a nice wide L *drooooool*. Here I started talking about L stuff.....time to mop up the drool on the floor again. Have a 20d/tamron 28-75 myself. Slowly attempting to expand the kit some. Between camera stuff and cnc....my budget is really thin on stuff I want to buy. Gonna have to give up some hobbies one of these days or I'm going to be in the poor house for a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by blackacid View Post
    Figure I would say hello to another WV person. I mostly lurk on the zone until I hopefully have something worth posting. Had started gathering parts for a 2006 until some stuff came up and never really got to order joes kit. Whenever my funds get back to normal I can get started again.

Sooooo.... I see you have a Canon xti. I'll would take a stab in the dark and say kit lens but you may have a nice wide L *drooooool*. Here I started talking about L stuff.....time to mop up the drool on the floor again. Have a 20d/tamron 28-75 myself. Slowly attempting to expand the kit some. Between camera stuff and cnc....my budget is really thin on stuff I want to buy. Gonna have to give up some hobbies one of these days or I'm going to be in the poor house for a long time.
    Very Good! The pics were taken with the kit lens, however I have others, just not for that application.

Where in WV? I live up in North Central, and I would be open to cutting your Joe parts once I am up and running.

Quote Originally Posted by swaggs21 View Post
    Very Good! The pics were taken with the kit lens, however I have others, just not for that application.

Where in WV? I live up in North Central, and I would be open to cutting your Joe parts once I am up and running.
    I seen your profile where it said around Fairmont. I'm on the opposite end of the state in the ever so famous Logan. I may take you up on that offer on one my trips to Morgantown whenever I'm ready to build. I'm really going to have to pull some stuff together and get a workshop built so I can have some room.

Quote Originally Posted by blackacid View Post
    I seen your profile where it said around Fairmont. I'm on the opposite end of the state in the ever so famous Logan. I may take you up on that offer on one my trips to Morgantown whenever I'm ready to build. I'm really going to have to pull some stuff together and get a workshop built so I can have some room.

I work in Morgantown, so that wouldn't be a problem at all. Hopefully will have the Hybrid up and running (perfectly) by the end of May which should give me some time to learn also.

So I have been making slow progress due to work, suppliers sending me wrong parts, and stupidity.

I am hoping to have the machine together this weekend, and then getting the controller and computer hooked up to it next weekend some time. I will have pics sometime this weekend.

I know that it has been a while since I have posted, but the machine is mechanically finished, just waiting to get the electronics installed (which hopefully will be this weekend).

It really is a fast build if you have time to dedicate to it, I think right now I am somewhere in the 48-49 hour range.

Looks nice! Good job.

You also have alot of room around it to manuver. I wish I had that space.

Bob

Thanks Bob. It actually will not be sitting there once it is running, it will be in a 10x12 room that will have its own dust collection and be isolated from the rest of the shop by a garage door.

Here are some pics of some stuff I cut this weekend.

For a first run I am stoked with the results

Nice, but where do you find Joe's Plans, etc..?

I'm not finding it easy to find Joe's plans for the 4x4 router table. I see a lot of posts about it, but where are the plans and kits???

Thanks.

The plans for the 4x4 are pay for only, I believe they are $100 now, but they are worth every single penny. The 2006 model plans are free, but it does not come close to the machine the Hybrid is.

Page 1 of 2 12