585,886 active members*
5,273 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Arkansas

Page 1 of 5 123

Arkansas

Anyone else here from Arkansas? I can both mentor and am in need of mentoring. I can help with most any type of wood work as well as some machine design, a little electronics and cad. I am in need of Mach2 instruction as well as Rhino 3d instruction.

Mike
    No greater love can a man have than this, that he give his life for a friend.

I'm in Arkansas.

Hoping to be making items in the next 3 months. Once workshop, and shopping is complete.

Mike,

Where in Arkansas are you? I'm in NW Arkansas.

Matt

Cool....do any of you ever go crystal hunting??

Arkansas Side of Memphis, Tn here.

Don't know anything about crystal hunting.

But most everything else that walks,flys or slithers is open for fair game. (grins)

Matt I live 40 miles sw of Hot Springs.

ViperTx, 30 miles from the largest crystal mines in the world and 28 miles from the only public Diamond mine in the world.

Deviant West Memphis?? You forgot swims in that fair game description!

Any of you guys use Mach2/3? Do you need any help with wood parts cut?

Mike

Swims yes. = )

Almost catfishing time.

I have mach2, but haven't gotten the point of using it. I've been working on my shop mostly. That and digging holes for my wifes rose bushes.

*laughs*

I am also in Arkansas and new to the board and looking for all the info i can get. I have not yet built anything cnc I am trying to do as much research as possible prior to actually purchasing anything.

Chris
    Chris

Chris what city?

Mike

I live in Conway
    Chris

Hi Chris,

I live 35 miles s/w of Hot Springs. What are you wanting to build? I'll help all I can. I may even have parts if you are interested?

Mike

Mike

I am wanting to build a 3 axis router based on jgro's design(I think). I am still researching to make sure that is the way that i want to go. I want the ability to cut mild steel and aluminum (like found in computer cases), some wood (want to build a new bass guitar), and etch plexiglass. beyound this im not sure what else i will want to do with this I guess i need to get one built and start to see where i need or want to upgrade. I am not even sure what router to use. I have seen several plans that have dremel tools mounted on Z. I figure this would work for etching the plex but not sure beyond that as to how it would handle the rest it would probably do ok on the wood as well.

any help or insight provided greatly appreciated.
    Chris

hi guys

I'm a hobby guitar builder from Arkansas, and live near Camden. I mostly build by hand, but have used a wood duplicating device some. I would really be interested in learning about CNC's but I have no clue about them. Here's a picture of the last guitar I built.

I would like to speed up the process of carving the guitar tops, so it can be accurate and faster. I'm working with Rhino 3D right now trying to get good at it and hopefully I can use it to design guitars for a CNC.

Very nice Matt! I will be in touch in a few days. I think we need to have a meeting of those of us here in Arkansas maybe for lunch??

Mike

Hey Matt

Welcome aboard. Great looking guitar :cheers: . that is actually one of the reasons that have started the process of building a CNC machine. I play bass and I have a desire to build my own bass.

Chris.
    Chris

cool.

Mike, you know quite a bit about cnc's right? Just let me know when and where you guys are going to meet to talk cnc stuff, etc. and I'll find a way to make it.

Chris what kind of bass are you looking to make? I've built a couple of P-Bass and a Jazz Bass, mostly bolt on necks. I have quite a bit of Swamp Ash wood that I use for building, that I might could part with, it would make an extremely light and awesome sounding bass for you. My wifes grandpaw and me started building guitars for fun about 2-1/2 years ago, he plays bass. Funny story, he was off for a week one time, and he decided he was going to build a 60's P-Bass Sunburst finish, 3 days later he was playing it totally finished.. lol I've helped and built over 10 guitars the last two years, just to learn the trade, but now I build them myself with my own designs. I have a P-Bass and Jazz Bass template if your interested in building a standard bass. It's not that hard to build an instrument, but the fretting tools is what cost so much.

keep in touch guys

Later

Matt, Chris,

I wouldn't say I know a lot about cnc but I have run my own cnc router for 11 years. During this time I have had it upgraded once and then did a major upgrade two years ago myself. I learned more about cnc during that time than all the rest of the time I have had the machine. Since Chris is from Conway and you are from Camden we might just meet at my shop if you guy want to. I need plenty of notice cause I will have to clean big time if I have visitors!

I am currently doing the cad for a Mezzaluna light weight basses for my brother. I used to play bass and will build myself one sometime early next year.

I will be leaving the end of November to go to the gulf coast to help my son in law on his brush and tree clean-up truck for a few weeks. It will be tight for me to get with you guys for a while due to getting ready ( final orders filled) before I leave. I had hope to go to Dallas next week but that is looking like a possible wash out. Next week will be the only time I will have unless I get to go to Dallas. Let me know if ya'll can meet then.

Mike

Matt

I am currently playing a P Bass Special that has both precision and jazz pick ups on it. I want to build a 4 or 5 string active bass like the ones that are avaliable from carvin. I am know that the fretting tools can get quite expensive. I was actually looking at building mine as fretless because i want to learn to play fretless and unless i have one i wont learn how. I am also wanting to build it with stereo (dual) output for running straight to the amp and also through an effects processor.

Chris
    Chris

turmite

I am new to the post. I live in Ashdown. I am interested in building a router. I could sure use help from someone with experience. I am a electrical/hvac supervisor at the paper mill so I have lots of experience with drives and computer driven equipment. Also have cutting and welding equipment. Just got into woodworking about 3 years ago. I built a grandfather clock and would like to build another. I had to really study and work to get some parts made. CNC would make it much easier. Do you have a machine built?

Talking

Gosh guys, I'm getting homesick. I'm originally from Osceola, right on the mighty muddy. Living now in South Carolina. Just converting a lathemaster mill to cnc with mach 3 and haven't a clue what cad/cam program I'm going to use. I build custom 1911 45's for a hobby and am going to use the cnc for that application and anything else I can come up with. Soooo, if I can help with questions, I'll be glad to share as a absentee arkansan. Welcome aboard for all the new guys.
    :cheers:
    billyjack
    Helicopter def. = Bunch of spare parts flying in close formation! USAF 1974 ;>)

Page 1 of 5 123