585,997 active members*
5,068 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Real stupid question

I was wondering if it is possible to wire two identical transformers in parallel to double the amperage while the output voltage stays the same?

Louis

If you use a separate rectifier for each transformer ( but connected to the same capacitor) it should work fine. If you just paralleled the windings a small difference in the output voltage of the transformers could cause a large current to flow between them.

Quite so. I agree.

Let's clear up one thing. Allways keep this in mind : Stupid questions do not exsist. Only people who give stupid answers. And i am quite confident that we don't have those on this forum.

Stacking of power supplies is quite a common thing. Not only should the outputs be rectified first before they're connected, one should be carefull that two power supplies do not supply voltage to each other. When differences are small, this can be done without any harm. But when using switching (let's say intelligent) power supplies, they will start affecting one another. So first use a bridge rectifier, and secondly use (big) diodes to isolate the two power supplies.

I will use this method myself when hooking up two 24V/5A power supplies.

This solution is less efficient though, because i will need two power supplies to produce either 24V/10A or 48V/5A. Those cases are quite big. When i would build from scrap, i know i can make the whole unit smaller. But as i allmost use power supplies for chairs overhere, one or two won't make a difference.

Best regards,

Ed.
    Not the horse, of course of course...
    Building my own Scrapheap challenge CNC, or is it Junkyard wars CNC?