585,715 active members*
4,524 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > Perfrormance in 7075 T-6 aluminum

Perfrormance in 7075 T-6 aluminum

i've been reading up on the Tormach and it seems like it will fit the bill for learning CNC. Looks like a nice way to have a machine to learn on and have around for some small production work later. My question is how does this mill perform it on 7075 T-6 aluminum? Most of what I will be doing is this. I don't expect to set any speed records but it would be nice to know I won't be taking very small cuts.

Vertical milling machines are not particularly material specific. If its rigid, tight and smooth enough for one material, and the right spindle speeds are available, then the same applies to all materials, up or down graded according to the machineability of the material of course. So the easiest way to get an idea is look at the videos on the Tormach web site. Whether 4500 rpm is high enough depends on what size cutters you are going to be using, if you are down around 3mm then it might be a little slow.

In its class the PCNC1100 is as about as good as it gets when it comes to removing material quickly.

As always just my thoughts and opinions.
    Phil

Quote Originally Posted by DragnsBane View Post
    i've been reading up on the Tormach and it seems like it will fit the bill for learning CNC. Looks like a nice way to have a machine to learn on and have around for some small production work later. My question is how does this mill perform it on 7075 T-6 aluminum? Most of what I will be doing is this. I don't expect to set any speed records but it would be nice to know I won't be taking very small cuts.