585,758 active members*
4,572 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > GibbsCAM > Importing Solidworks IGS not showing radii or circles...

Importing Solidworks IGS not showing radii or circles...

A customer is trying to send me a Solidworks IGS to use to make a part, so he's providing me with multiple formats to try to overcome the problem we've had in the past:

When I import the IGS and I extract the curves/arcs/holes from the solid, they don't seem to be proper circles because I can't get a radius/diameter dimension and I can't create a point at the centre. In fact, if I extract the geometry from an entire surface, the curves come out as dozens/hundreds of connected points.

I'm not sure if this is a Gibbs thing (am I not setting something correctly during import?) or a Solidworks thing (is there a setting that he should be selecting in creating the IGS?).

Anyone have any idea?

Thanks in advance...

SW

when you say importing and ectracting geometry....

what software are you talking about? Are you trying to make a 3D toolpath file? Why not use STL format which is designed for machining. You will not be able to extract anything from it but that is the purpose of that format.

are you tring to create a 2D sketch by extracting edges of his model?

Why IGES. Solid works works better on the parasolid platform for orphaned solids. Or so I have been told by my reseller. I only use other formats when someone absolutely cannot read parasolid. This has only happened once and was with an asian vendor who oddly said they had an older version of SW but let couldnt get thier head screwed on straight and open almost anything we sent them.

Hi Under-dog,

I'm trying to import a Solidworks created IGS into Gibbs 2004, and then extract geometries and holes to create machining operations. We're doing it this way just because this is what I'm used to, I'm certainly open to trying it a new way.

Theres no 3D tool paths or anything, its just a 2.5D part. But because curves aren't being extracted properly, the g-code also comes out with G1 commands, so that the machine stutters slowly around a radius as it does all these short, discreet moves, rather than a smooth G2 or G3 move. And for drilling ops, I can't use a circle and have it drill because it can't seem to find the centers.

We're actually about to try STEP or STP now, something the customer suggested, we'll see if that works better.

I'm not familiar with STL format, how is it designed for machining?

Well STEP format didn't work any better. We'll try parasolid and STL next.

SW

Quote Originally Posted by Driftwood View Post
    Hi Under-dog,

I'm trying to import a Solidworks created IGS into Gibbs 2004, and then extract geometries and holes to create machining operations. We're doing it this way just because this is what I'm used to, I'm certainly open to trying it a new way.

Theres no 3D tool paths or anything, its just a 2.5D part. But because curves aren't being extracted properly, the g-code also comes out with G1 commands, so that the machine stutters slowly around a radius as it does all these short, discreet moves, rather than a smooth G2 or G3 move. And for drilling ops, I can't use a circle and have it drill because it can't seem to find the centers.

We're actually about to try STEP or STP now, something the customer suggested, we'll see if that works better.

I'm not familiar with STL format, how is it designed for machining?

It breaks surface down into small triangles. I read somewhere that it is simpler for CAM and RP to read and really does not effect the resolution, which can be adjusted upon export.

Here are some links about it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/STL_(file_format)

http://www.stereolithography.com/stlformat.php

Now keep in mind an STL loses all ability to be manipulated, reverse engineered or have elements extracted from it.

When we send files to out toolmaker we send parasolids for this reason. It gives then the ability to make minor modifications, ectract data and create mold files.

STL is fine for one offs and prototyping. This is the file format wer send to Rapid Prototype vendors. They have no need to access the data represented bey the geometry so the STL is ideal for them.

I am not farmiliar with gibbs but.....I know that even working with a native SW file in SW, a good portion of ectracted geometry will result in spline geometry in the resulting 2D sketch