584,817 active members*
4,861 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Mills > Is there any negotiating price for a new haas?

Is there any negotiating price for a new haas?

Hi there,

I am in the market for a new haas, and was wondering if they come down at all from their advertised price, or is it set in stone?

I am thinking about a VF2 YT with options.

Thanks

Jimmy

Thanks for the link. I guess its been brought up before. Looks like maybe there is some bartering on options pricing. I received a quote just recently from the dealer in these parts, and there as a $1100. markup on the machine itself from what it states online. What is the deal with that? Are they gouging me? Is the online price not updated in real-time? I just wrote the salesman and asked him about it, along with the 15% off on options. I am looking into a Leadwell Machine, as well as a used Mori.

Thanks again

Jimbo

It never hurts to ask. I would think that near the end of March there should be some deals with the machines due to the WestTec show in Los Angles. Also, work with your dealer closely on the machine options. There may be some options that are nice but you really do not need. You can add them on later when the machine starts to pay for itself.

Other options are to see if your finance institution will do a tax lease on the machine. You basically make monthly payments and after the lease period you can by the machine at FMV or just turn it over to the leasing agency.
    Jeff Lange
    Lightning Tool & Manufacturing, Inc.

The price difference may have been shipping and tax. That's not on the online system.
    Greg

I heard Haas is having a promotion right now. 7% or 7.5% discount for
    pre-Westec

Quote Originally Posted by HAILINHAAS View Post
    pre-Westec

What is pre westec? I can wait for a machine, i don't need it right away. Is there going to be a promotion soon, and how do I go about inquiring about the 7%?

When I bought my 2001 model, they had a special with free side mount tool changer. Does Haas do specials every year, or was that just a once in a blue moon thing?

Thanks

Jimmy

Quote Originally Posted by conceptmachinin View Post
    ....When I bought my 2001 model, they had a special with free side mount tool changer....
    Back then I bought several machines at significant discounts, 'show specials', ' factory demos', but around 2006 the discounts seemed to evaporate and my most recent machines have been more or less at list price.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

I went through this same discussion recently, in my case they gave me a small discount -- which was great. The consensus is, the price is the price.

At the same time I looked at other machines, I could never get a straight answer on what the machine costs, what it included or anything.

I got them down a little. I think I may hold off until they run a special though. Either that, or maybe buy something like a used Mori. We will see if they do anything for March.

If you're looking for a price break like the difference between a new and a used machine you won't get it -- on any brand.

I went new because I need to make parts, not deal with machine issues. I went with Haas because I need to make parts, not deal with saleman games.

One thing to consider when seeking a discount is how you would respond if one of your customers started bugging you for a discount. My response is normally; my price is my price, if you don't like it nobody is holding a gun to your head fdrcing you to buy. With that attitude I don't really have grounds for complaint if I am on the receiving end as a customer.

Also you have to consider if the machine is going to be earning money for you it can only do that when it is sitting on your floor running; all the time you spend dickering over a couple of grand is lost income.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Quote Originally Posted by HAILINHAAS View Post
    pre-Westec

In the past, the "Pre-WESTECH" discount has been 5%. But this year Haas is not offering it. (I just bought a new machine last Friday) But, if your sales rep likes you... and the local company really wants to sell a machine... you should be able to swing a 3% to 5% discount. And, under no circumstances should the price of the machine be higher than Haas's web site lists it for.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Honda View Post
    And, under no circumstances should the price of the machine be higher than Haas's web site lists it for.
    Just to clarify that point: it'll be more because of tax, rigging and shipment. There are a few fudge factors that the dealer can negotiate but there's not much room from my experience. And that's not a bad thing.

We live in a world where we have to negotiate everything to get 'the fair price'. Haas cut through that BS. The whole negotiation process is why I've never bought a new car and probably never will. I like the Haas pricing model.
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Donkey Hotey View Post
    Just to clarify that point: it'll be more because of tax, rigging and shipment. There are a few fudge factors that the dealer can negotiate but there's not much room from my experience. And that's not a bad thing.

We live in a world where we have to negotiate everything to get 'the fair price'. Haas cut through that BS. The whole negotiation process is why I've never bought a new car and probably never will. I like the Haas pricing model.
    But you’re going to pay for rigging and shipping with any machine. And tax… you shouldn’t be paying tax on something like this. Even if you are just putting it in your garage. You should fill out a tax exempt form because I’m sure you will sell something you make eventually, and that makes it tax exempt for manufacturing reasons. Then you can write off part of your garage too.

Quote Originally Posted by Donkey Hotey View Post

But you’re going to pay for rigging and shipping with any machine. And tax… you shouldn’t be paying tax on something like this. Even if you are just putting it in your garage. You should fill out a tax exempt form because I’m sure you will sell something you make eventually, and that makes it tax exempt for manufacturing reasons. Then you can write off part of your garage too.:banana:

It's true that you're going to pay tax and shipping on any machine but the website can't quote it because they don't know your specifics and they don't know your local tax laws.

As for 'tax exempt': that only works if you're buying the machine to resell it (dealer). If you're buying it to make things, it's not only a taxable asset for the purchase but you have to pay yearly tax to own the asset.

When I bought my VF-2, $5,300 went straight to Uncle Sam.
    Greg

actually depreciate it. Also the Feds have a tax incentive to buy captial equipment . http://www.depreciationbonus.org/ . We have been doing this for the past 3 years.

We have bought 5 Haas Mills in the last year....."All" were discounted....Most recent purchase was a VF 6 that was deeply discounted....they will deal....Ask for the "Sharp" pencil pricing

Ken

I was working on buying a new VF-6, my Haas salesman stopped by today and said Haas is offering 7.5% discount on all Haas machines and options till March 28, 2008. Big discount it is a pre Westec promotion suppose to be out on their website soon and if you are a Haas user you will get a flier in the mail.