585,728 active members*
4,051 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Linear Actuators

In the middle of building a cnc router for woodworking I find myself caught up in another project. I need a linear actuator ( at least I think I do ) that I can control several variables. I need the follwing:

Max stroke of 8"
    variable speed control
    max speed up to approx 60"/second
    Ability to push/pull up to 20lbs
    Ability to control stroke distance ie. from 0-3", 6-8", 2-6", etc

I do not know much about linear actuators or the controllers needed to control the variables so any information that can get me started will be greatly appreciated. The above mentioned variables will need to be controlled "on the fly" via some sort of controller that is not controlled by PC, possibly a hand held controller of sorts. Precision is not needed here and backlash is not a concern either. Can be powered by either DC or AC.

Again, any information about products that can handle the above specs will be greatly appreciated.

Hi:
    Have you done a Web search using "linear acuators" as the search term. Thre is a myriad of actuators and info available, I think the kind you are looking for could consist of a "conveyor belt" type of setup.
    http://www.daedalpositioning.com/

regards

The most cost effective linear actuators I have found where these ones: http://www.trossenrobotics.com/store...-ACTUATOR.aspx

They, however, don't come anywhere near your speed requirements. I have seen that same linear actuator with a different gear ratio (can't find it right now) that moves faster but with less power, but still would be under your requirements.

I have the one linked above, and it's strong, but very slow. It says 110 pounds, and i'm sure it can do that or probably even a bit more. It does however move at about 1 inch per second, slower if there is 100 pounds on it.

Ross

Hi:

You may need to go hydraulic i.e. servohydraulic valve with a hydraulic cylinder&linear scale for positional feedback. Big $$$

regards

I would check out intelligent actuator for a simple to setup, cost effective solution. They have tons of different products:

http://www.intelligentactuator.com

I've used these with good success on a lot of automation projects.

Best regards,

Ahren
    www.cncrouterparts.com