Register for free
Login

Glass Engraving

Any suggestion on what is the best way to colour fill glass etchings

Ie.. colour fill , what paints or resins , How to get that nice white etch
    What would last a long time for quality purposes

Shadow

Many thanks for any help

With proper settings you should get a nice white etch, less power and more speed is best.

If you do need to paint fill, etch through a mask like paper transfer tape, and paint with special glass paint like Liquitex Acrylic.

Hi Shadow,
    I don't have much experience with the etching process but I know that it's better etched on the reverse side in reverse, then colour filled.
    I have tried "Rub N Buff" but had limited success and didn't like the finish very much. The mirrors I engrave on the back face are painted with a good quality enamel paint which seems to do the job pretty well so far but all the people on the forums talking about this method seem to like the Acrylic paints for luster, colour and finish.
    Rich.
    I am not completely useless.......I can always serve as a BAD example.

THX GUYS

Thx bisjoe

I give that a try
    Like most people you look at more power to get a whiter look nut you dont think less power LOL

Thx mononueron
    Im trying to do high res photo like engraving so color fill with acrylic is a little harder
    Im going to try to get some clear film to place over the work before i start to reduce the overflow of the paint

It will take me awhile to work out which way is best but that can be half the fun with trial and error

Many thx
    Shadow

I use all the power available on my 30 watt laser and run at about 3.5 inches/sec just to burn through the mirror backing. It takes ages to do a 12 inch square mirror (like 3 hours) but it turns out pretty well. I just go off and do something else like post on this forum. I have to set my dots per inch to 340 and above so as not to have any lines uncut which leave a shiny line on the finished product.
    Rich.

MACHINE

What machine and brand have you got mono ?

Shadow

It's a home made one with a ULS 30 watt RF laser adapted to it and running Linkmotion software.
    Rich.

Try rayzist.com They specialize in glass etching supplies although it is usually done with a sandblaster. Lasers can etch an image onto glass but can not get the image deep enough to fill with color. One division of my company does glass etching with color filling and we never use a laser to put an image onto glass... sandblast only.

Smile THX MATE

Thx mate ill give it some thought im looking at doing some high detail work so i dont believe sandblasting will get the detail i want but ill have a look at it
    Im not just looking at glass but and have a few other idea to try but all will require some high detail work but i would like to color the glass after engraving
    Might have to mix it with other mediums ie resin, glues, ...etc ...to bring out the colors

Still not sure which way im gonna go with it But i would like to do something with some high detail artwork
    Bit of a learning curve

Shadow

Quote Originally Posted by SHADOW042 View Post
    Any suggestion on what is the best way to colour fill glass etchings

Ie.. colour fill , what paints or resins , How to get that nice white etch
    What would last a long time for quality purposes. Shadow
    I have done photos in mirror by rastering them and then spray painting a lacquer base flat black on the back of the mirror, they turn out great. I also use KRYLON X Metals paint for some light boxes I build, because it lets light pass through.
    jim j.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails tool box 008.jpg   tool box 010.jpg   tool box 016.jpg   tool box 017.jpg  

tool box 020.jpg   tool box 021.jpg  
    Guys, I swear I would look it up for myself, but the goat ate my manual.
    CAMaster Cobra 408 Rabbit HX3040 Aspire

Hello!

A very good, absolutely free etching software (DotG) released now in Englis language!

If you want, test it!

You can find info here:

HobbyCnCArt news

Have a nice day!!