584,846 active members*
4,528 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Finding metric stock

Hello.

I have this problem. I need round bar stainless steel 3 mm in 300 alloy ( or the most machineable alloy available) for screws machining. I have found this site, www.metricmetal.com, but it wont sale retail, I have emailed them for a quote and was replied that I needed to be a company to buy from them.

Right now I purchase 1/8" SS stock and grind it to 3 mm wich isnt very good for the surface finish and it not always perfect and most important it is time consuming and more expensive for me. Plus the alloy its being sold in here is 303 wich isnt very good for thread cutting, sometimes it chips away, yes with cutting fluid.

So I wonder if anyone of you guys/gals know of a metric metal supply wich can sell retail?

Here in Mexico we dont have many choices when it comes to unusual stock sizes.

What sort of quantity are you talking about?, and how are you grinding it now? The 303 should be about the most machinable of the common alloys. Just make yourself a company name, for example Konstantin Manufacturing Co. Some of these companies avoid individual sales due to liability and others because they only want big orders. Tell them you're a company, and for all they know, you are a company.

Hi metlmunchr.

Well I would buy about 10 kilos of the 3mm SS in 2' lenght pieces. That will cover my needs for a while.

I just file it on my custom late or on my drill press, using 2" pieces for my screws.

Oh yes, the 303 is very machineable, I mixed up things in my head. The alloy that is being sold in here is a bit harder, dont recall 304 or something like that.

I ll try that about the company mockup.

Konstantin.

www.mcmaster.com search for 1274T12
    303 stainless 3mm rod. 1 meter lengths