585,717 active members*
3,980 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Question Tabs How and Where?

A response from Joe in his 4X4 Hybrid thread (I didn't want to hyjack that thread): "Its a feature in V-Carve Pro you can add them automatically or place them where you want and specify all the parameters of them, i.e. width and height, 3d or not."

Other than "V-Carve" what is the easiest and cheapest way to have tabs in your drawings?

Thanks

If you do not have a program which can insert them for you, I would draw a duplicate of the part outline on another layer in Cadd off set it 1/2 the bit dia. and manually delete the line segments to exclude the area there you want tabs i.e, ------ ------ the space being the tab and machine the line directly for your final pass, If you have say 0.75" stock, machine everything as you would normally but on the final pass on the part cutout off (machine to a depth of 0.625") leaving the final 0.125" for your tab machining.

Hope that kinda explain how i would go about it.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by joecnc2006 View Post
    If you do not have a program which can insert them for you, I would draw a duplicate of the part outline on another layer in Cadd off set it 1/2 the bit dia. and manually delete the line segments to exclude the area there you want tabs i.e, ------ ------ the space being the tab and machine the line directly for your final pass, If you have say 0.75" stock, machine everything as you would normally but on the final pass on the part cutout off (machine to a depth of 0.625") leaving the final 0.125" for your tab machining.

Hope that kinda explain how i would go about it.

Joe
    Thanks Joe,

I'm new to cad drawing and I keep forgetting the value of layers. That will do it.

lazycam has tabs also, they are just harder to find
    dan

Just for the searching aspect of this thread, Sheet Cam also has tabs. They are very easy to use. Any size or thickness.
    Lee

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Chips View Post
    Other than "V-Carve" what is the easiest and cheapest way to have tabs in your drawings?

Thanks
    Check Vectrics new Cut2D for $199. I didn't see it listed, but I'm assuming it has it. Check out the demo, it's basically Vcarve Pro without the V-carving.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)