585,585 active members*
3,776 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Mills > High Output Coolant Question

High Output Coolant Question

Hi,

I did a search on this subject and didn't find any discussions so I thought I would post this.

I have a HAAS TM-1P Tool Room Mill with the High Output Coolant system. I currently have a Loc-Line flexible nozzle that dispenses the coolant. I also have installed a proper coolant filtration system and it is working fine.

I am new to this machine and have a couple of problems that I would like some input on.

1. During a tool change the coolant turns off. Currently the coolant hose enters the enclosure from the top of the cabinet. The volume of coolant that remains in the line coming from the coolant pump still has to drain from the hose. The coolant while not under power from the coolant pump still comes from the nozzle at a rate that squirts all over the tools and tool changing mechanism during the tool change operation. I believe the coolant system has a one way spring loaded ball valve installed at the output of the coolant pump to keep the coolant from falling back into the coolant tank and loosing its prime. I wonder if it would be possible to install one in the opposite direction near the coolant nozzle to keep the coolant that is in the line from draining out during tool changes when the pump is turned off. I feel that with the power of the high output coolant pump that it would easily push the ball valve open during normal operations. This discussion leads me to my next question.

2. Being a newbie I may be doing something wrong. In my limited use of this machine it has been a major headache repositioning the coolant nozzle during the machining process due to the different lengths of tooling used during the operation. Open the door, change the nozzle position and get soaked from all the coolant splashing everywhere. I realize that HAAS offers a programmable coolant nozzle but would think it is pretty expensive. I am in the process of trying to develop a coolant/air nozzle that can have its position changed manually from outside the cabinet and would eliminate constantly opening the doors to reposition the coolant nozzle. The air nozzle operation would be controlled by a Heinrich foot treadle valve or similar item that would also be controlled from the outside of the cabinet.

Maybe someone else already has an "economical solution" to my perceived problem. Being a newbie I may have overlooked the obvious.

Thanks in advance for your valued input.

John

What you are thinking of doing would probably work but an alternate approach is to get the one way valves from Loc-Line, put them at your nozzles and remove the one way valve near the pump.

My diagnosis for the coolant flowing after the pump turns off is that the pressure distends the plastic hose and when the pump turns off the hose relaxes and pushes the coolant forward because the lower non-return valve prevents back flow. Taking it off allows back flow while the hose relaxes but the top non-return valve prevents the hose from emptying completely.

EDIT: Instead of repositioning your nozzles make up a manifold with multiple nozzles aimed in different locations. The high volume pump can handle several.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

If possible, kill the coolant sooner in the program. We just worked with our post to run an M9 at the end of the cut path, NOT at the TC. This will give more time to bleed down. I agree, plumbing should be looked at to minimize this bleed down but every valve will reduce pressure some. One, other thing you can do is reroute the coolant line so it has a loop that goes up pretty near the loc-line. Would be a difference of draining 6ft of hose vs 2 ft of hose.

Suggestions

Hi Geof & Viper,

Thanks guys for your input. Great ideas. I will try them.

John

the one way valves from Loc-Line do cut down the flow & do plug up & quit working as well.
    I put a 1/2" locline on my mini with a big Vee.

Geof has a great point. I have the high volume pump on our Mini and with the loc-line valve about 1/2 - 2/3 of the way open, it will more than power the 3 way split I have. I ran from the valve on the head next to the spindle, a long line to point at the tool from the back side of the spindle, a medium line to point from the front of the spindle and a shorty to point from the right side. It seems to help clear the chips away better when milling and can give different height possibilities when working with tools of different lengths.

I hope this helps some.

Gizmo

Quote Originally Posted by gizmo_454 View Post
    ..... a long line to point at the tool from the back side of the spindle.....
    I used to think this was a good idea.

But I will point out if the coolant nozzle is pointing at the tool from the back side it is also pointing at the door.

One time I opened the door before turning off the coolant.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

oops. LOL. Been there, done that. I now make sure the coolant is off or not spraying on the door when I open it!!

Gizmo