585,902 active members*
4,658 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Mastercam > Help making helical rough and finish milling

Help making helical rough and finish milling

Trying to figure out how to program say a ramped circle at .500 deep and then allow tool to stay down and run another finish circle pass at full depth to remove say .010.

What I have now runs the helix fine but even when "tool down" is programmed, it pulled the tool out and moves back to the start point before doing the finish pass. Do I just need to create another tool path at full depth or is there a way to do this with just one tool path?

Use circle mill this will do what you want.
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .

Well when I threw out "circle", I should have said inner contour. What we want to test on is a part .500 deep but more of a square cut path. Will the helical cut path in the circle mill menu adapt the this? Do I need to take another route? Thanks

At some point it becomes pointless fighting the software to do exactly what you want it to do when in reality, if you just hand edit your code, you'd be done in a few seconds. Sounds like all you have to do is delete two Z moves and you're set.

I fully agree but my ultimate goal right now is just to get the software to do it's job. I do not thing I can delete the Z moves because it is starting at a difference point than where the roughing pass stops.

So for the finish pass you want it to start from the bottom and come back up or just move to the top of the closed profile and start going down again?
    Making sure what you want to see happen.As I am trying to get you what you want. I alwas stay away from hand editing.
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .

Wait a min do you want the tool to ramp down leaving .01on the walls and at the bottom stay there and just to a finish past while at the bottom?
    Review picture:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails finatbottom.jpg  
    Cadcam

A little hard to see in the pic but yes, I want to helix down while leaving .010 on the walls and then step out to final diameter and run a full depth finish pass. From your pic, it looks like you have it.

What I did to program mine was contour pass with ramp, 1 roughing pass at 3 degree ramp and 1 finish pass. It would run the roughing helix and then pull the tool out and move to the start point again and run the finish pass. I just want the tool to stay down and step over the .010 and run the finish pass.

Thanks

Cadcam

You are all over it!!! I saw the function button that I must be either not seeing or don't have. "make pass at final depth". I will take a look shortly. Thanks a bunch for the step by step on that.

this should be there as this is an old function. let me know how it goes. I am figuring this is what you wanted by your reply.
    Cadcam

I notice you are using X2 and wondering if that is the difference because I even duplicated your settings with X and no help. Still pulls the tool out at the end of the roughing and dives back in for the finish. I mad sure to select tool down but nothing fixes it.

My only thought is to find a way to make sure the helix starts and ends at the same point so I can just delete the Z retract to get what I want. Basically what it is doing now is running the roughing helix down and just ends where it needs to based on angle or depth of helix, then pulls tool up and goes back to the start point again to do the finish pass. I would bet if anyone knows what is up here, you do!

Quote Originally Posted by viper6383 View Post
    I notice you are using X2 and wondering if that is the difference because I even duplicated your settings with X and no help. Still pulls the tool out at the end of the roughing and dives back in for the finish. I mad sure to select tool down but nothing fixes it.

My only thought is to find a way to make sure the helix starts and ends at the same point so I can just delete the Z retract to get what I want. Basically what it is doing now is running the roughing helix down and just ends where it needs to based on angle or depth of helix, then pulls tool up and goes back to the start point again to do the finish pass. I would bet if anyone knows what is up here, you do!
    First question what version are you actually using. are you using any of the MR1 or MR2 or at lease the Sp1 or SP2?
    Second can you share your file?
    I know I can make this work in V9 and earlier.
    Cadcam

OK, I think we got it figured out. My lead in and lead out was causing a problem. Thanks for all your help and I will find you when I have more questions.