584,879 active members*
5,269 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 4 123

FR-SE spindle drive trouble

Is any one familiar with these drives? I found some torched resistors and diodes on the SEIO1 board. The spindle motor was working.
    The resistors I replaced, but the diodes I am not sure what type they are. If I ring them out with an ohm meter, It looks like they are switching on and off. Switching diodes?
    The diodes are marked with 3SM 6D, the usual line on one end, and there is a red dot on the lead on the side with the line.

Any help greatly appreciated,
    Cutmore

You should be able to download a manual for it from www.meau.com
    If you have problems I can email you a copy.There is a couple of versions,one better than the other.
    Mark.

Thanks for the info on the MEAU site,
    already did find the manuals. I have ordered some diodes and when they come in I will replace them and cross my fingers. In the mean-time i am going to Meg test the motor to see if that is an issue.

Cutmore

make sure to check your base transistors before powering up or you will have a fireworks show.

ps those resistors on the right hand side of the board do get hot so may be discolored and still be ok.

One of the manuals gives the procedures for testing the transistors.

Mark.

I've got an FR-SE down myself. It is the power supply though. Sent in to Mitsubishi for a $400 repair. Deader than hell when I got it back. They replaced all the capacitors but the 2 largest ones.

I am sending it back to Mitsubishi for a 2nd try at the rebuild.

Hey Cutmore,

Keep us posted on your repair of the FR-SE drive. It would be great if you can repair the board yourself! I have always wanted to know more about repairing this stuff.

If all else fails, you can send it to Mitsubishi for repair. The thing that sucks is they usually charge at least $1k to repair a board. Yet all they do is solder in some new capacitors, and maybe a diode or two.

I just paid them $400 to solder about $50 of capacitors to my FR-SE power supply. The jack-leg tech couldn't have tested the power supply. I guess he assumed dead power supplies are always due to bad capacitors. But, why did he not replace to 2 large ones just to be safe????

Thanks for the replies,
    The cost from Mitsu to repair was quoted at $2400, so I figured I have some room to try myself first. The thing with these old parts is, the tech guy told me that the major parts are no longer available so they can only replace components now.

I replaced 1 of the power transistors before finding the cooked resistors & diodes. All the others tested fine.
    I did notice 1 of the big capacitors windows is open,should I replace that even though the drive was sort of working?

Note to self, when you find one bad component, Inspect the whole device for any other visible problems!

I megged the spindle motor last night and it tested fine. I am waiting for the diodes to come in. $12 from Newark.

Cutmore

FR-SE drive

Just to continue the thread,
    I replaced the diodes and re-installed the SE-I01 board. The spindle still does the same thing. When I use the manual start button the spindle acts as if it is single phasing and does not have enough ummf to start, but if I nudge it by hand it will start. The spindle will not start with an M3 or M4 command.
    I tried putting the drive in open loop mode and the spindle would not start even trying to help it.
    Anyone have any idea what else to test or am I stuck sending in for an $$$$ repair?

Thanks,
    Cutmore

When you checked the SE 101 board,did you check across all the transistors as shown in the Freqrol-SE Maintenance Manual No 1?
    If it all tested ok I would suspect the power supply which is the black box across the top it puts out multiple + - 8 volts supplies.
    When the drive is powered up what leds do you have on?
    Mark.

On edit 8 volts was 18 volts.
    Have you gone through the extensive troubleshooting part of the above manual?

FR-SE drive

Thanks for the reply,
    I already checked the large transistors and had to replace 1 on the converter side, the v phase I think it was. The ready led is on and I forget the others that were on.I will have to check when I get home.
    I did notice when I commanded an m3 or m4 the up to speed led was lit even though the spindle was not turning.

Someone mentioned they thought the firing circuit was what they suspected but I am rusty with electronic troubleshooting and am not sure what to test.
    Is there a way to test the transistors on the SE-Io1 board?

Thanks,
    Cutmore

Yes there is a way to test all the drive.PM me your email and I`ll send you the manual.
    Mark.

Hey gridley51,
    Is the FR-SE Maintenance Manual No 1 you are referring to available from Mitsubishi's web site?
    I can't recall reading anything about checking the transistors on the SE101 board itself, just the big base transistors.
    Thanks!
    Greg

No1 manual I have is part of a Mazak publication.The same info is available in Mits download BNP-A7237-35A

Mark.

The led being on for "up to speed" is quite normal, a better description of this led is "speed attained" so in effect there if there is no revs then the speed is attained at zero revs. You should only see this led go off when the spindle starts and on again when it attains speed.

PS. The power supply is usually at fault on these drives.

philserveng,
    Thanks for the info, That makes sense now.
    Do you know how I would test the power supply?

Mark,
    Thanks for the manual, I still haven't found what is wrong with the drive yet.
    I have been too busy to spend much time on it though.

The next thing I am going to try is put an amprobe on the 3 wires going to the motor to see if it is single phasing. Maybe that will lead somewhere.

Thanks for the replies,
    Cutmore

Cutmore.
    Forget about the motor at this stage.Read the manual and start testing at the beginning with the power supply.All the info and procedures you need are in the manual.When you are sure that every thing is testing out ok,look and see what leds you have on.There are no shortcuts.
    Mark.

Mark,
    Thanks,
    In the procedure 1 of the things it mentions is checking the wave form. Do you know what frequency Oscilloscope I would need to check that? I want to get 1 to tune my axis drives anyway.
    Thanks,
    Cutmore

Cutmore,
    I`m not sure of the frequency of the o`scope.I very rarely use mine.
    Have you checked all the outputs from the power supply SE-PW?Do you have an amber led on in the SE-PW?As someone else mentions this is the usual source of problems for these drives.
    What leds are on when you power the drive?This will give a good indication of the source of the problem.
    Mark.

Thanks for the reply,
    I have not checked the power supply yet. I am pretty sure I saw the amber LED but I will check again.

The Led's that are on are, the Phase Sequence, Ready,Speed detection,and Zero speed.

I haven't had much time to check this machine lately as I have been running the working vmc non-stop for the last 2 weeks. If I had this one running it would have paid for itself by now! Unfortunately I only have a 5hp phase converter so I can only run 1 machine at a time right now.

Thanks for the help,

Cutmore

Page 1 of 4 123