585,992 active members*
5,353 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Motor Question

I am going to start building my Joes here real soon...... as soon as my tax return comes in.... HEE Hee... I was looking at motors but I wasn't sure what the holding Oz are? He the guy selling them says they are 8000 grams holding torque motors. I did a grams to Oz coversion it said 296Oz. When I tracked down the specs on motor this is what they said

1.8 step Angle / 6 pin Uni-Polar / 1 amp Rated Current / 5.8 resistance / 510 (mNm) Holding Torque / 12.2(mH) Inductance / 140 Rotor Inertia / 58 (mNm) Detent Torque /

I just need to know what the holding torque is for this motor in Oz's.
    I know this might not be the right place for this but it is for a Joes Machine, don't kill me. I just needed an anwser soon and not next week.

510 mNm = 72 oz-in
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

hope ger21 answer you soon enough... lol

but if it is for the 2006 you do not want to go lower than 200 oz/in i used those for a year on my original machine. but go with the 305oz uni/ 425oz bi.

joe

That is weird cause if you convert 8400 grams to Oz's it is 296Oz

But the specs didn't say 8400 grams, did they?

1Nm = 141 ozin
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

No the guy posted 8400 gram/cm (mNm) which is wrong. The motor website is a little confusing. One area it says this series is rated 300-800 (mNm), but when you look up the specific model which is a little hard to find it is only rated at (561 mNm). Also he said they were bipolar and they are 6 wire Unipolar.

Here is where I screwed up, I did a straight weight conversion grams to oz, not a torque conversion gr/cm to Oz/in. There is a HUGE difference if you do the weight conversion 8400 gr = 296 Oz which is a standard size for a motor and very doable for a Joes Machine. Doing the Torque conversion 8400 gr/cm = 76 Oz/in......... Whaaaaaa That Sucks!! I didn't know in my own ignorance that there was a difference. So I have motors that I can't use..... I only paid $70 for 3 with limit switches. I may end up selling them on the forum here. They would be good for a small cnc just not a Joes Machine.

The hobbyCNC kit is a proven way to power the Joes 2006. The 3 axis kit with 305 motors has driver board and motors and nearly everything else you need. It is also hard to beat for the price.

The only problem is that it is unipolar and from what I understand you won't get the same power out of unipolar. Now that I am really looking, I think I am going to get the 496 oz nema 23 bipolar for $160. I just don't like that fact that there are no bipolar boards for under $150. I am on a fairly tight budget.

Quote Originally Posted by DistortedDesign View Post
    Also he said they were bipolar and they are 6 wire Unipolar.
    You can use six wire motors as bipolar, you just ignore the two center taps and use the the remaining four wires. Voila, you have bipolar series. What you can't do with 6 wire is run them bipolar parallel.

Alan

The hobbyCNC motors are 8 wire motors. You run them unipolar with HCNC board and get 305 ounce-inch torque. If you later upgrade your driver boards, you can get about 425 ounce-inch in bipolar mode with the same motors. Since they are 8 wire you can choose series or parallel connection bipolar.

I run the Hobbycnc motors on my 4x4 with 4 gecko's now 425oz/in. Also in one of the video's you can see me jogging the machine at 360ipm using them with the hobbycnc pro board at 305oz/in. it runs very well with it, i was surprised. I did this to give people a starting alternative to get the machine running and possible upgrade later on.

Joe

Gecko is coming out with the cheap drive in a few months too, so that may be worth waiting for.
    For motors, I would stick with some well known suppliers that guys mention all the time around here.
    I initially bought some 270 z motors off Ebay. They are decent motors, but now I can no longer find any info on them. I still use them and just hooked them up as I did before, but this caused me not to sell them. I didn't want to sell anyone motors with no documentation.
    I have since been buying them from Keling. You may pay just a little more, but these guys should be around in a couple years if you need them.
    Lee