585,735 active members*
4,802 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

FASTCUT cnc plasma

Does anyone operate a FastCut CNC plasma, made in Kamloops BC?
    I understand that they use timing belts rather than rack and pinion and I am curious how the machine holds tolerance.

I also wonder about the general quality of the gantry.

Syd

We purchased one 2 years ago. We checked the accuracy of the travel using a dial indicator mounted on a plate. We ran the machine from home position (full stroke) in X and Y. The machine repeated to within .002 inches full stroke.The benefit of the timing belt is that it is immune to dirt (unlike rack & pinion). This matters in a fabrication environment. Some people claim that the belt strtches, but it's steel reinforced.
    To say the least, we are totally satidfied with the performance of the machine. Keep in mind that a plasma system has 2 parts: the table & the plasma cutter. The quality of the cut is largely dependant on the plasma cutter.

Feel fre to call me: talk to Fastcut and ask them for the number for NRC in Ottawa.

regards

I live about 1 hour from these Fellows called them for a Quote and a 4x4 Table was $27000 plus plus plus I thought that was a little rich! I think threr are better choices for that kind of Dollar....

Hi

It's not a hobby machine. Consider this: you get a heavy duty powder coated frame (that you could park a Mack truck on) top quality PC, high quality smart drives, plasma cutter and OneCnc software.
    We paid just under 40k for a 4 x 8. We were not interested in anything with rack & pinion, and we wanted a gantry style unit. Compared to Esab this was less than 1/2 the price. Ultimately it depends on how much you are willing to spend, and I really like the fact that it's a Canadian Company. Because I work in the Federal Gov't ( crown corp.) I feel compelled to spend our money on small to medium Canadian companies. I am also 100% accountable to our customers and the Canadian Taxpayer. In order to purchase this unit, I had to sell the idea to management first, and then go to tender with a technical specification. Most of the competitors that applied could not or would not quote on positional accuracy or repeatability of the units. That said, I'm sure many will do a reasonable job of positioning. The other part is up to you and the plasma cutter you choose.

regards

FastCut CNC

Hi, I purchased my table in the Fall. It has proven to be an extremely easy to use and flexible system.

It may not be at the level of some units (Esab etc) but it is certainly more robust than some other units I looked into.

Again, Canadian content was a major for me, as a small Canadian manufacturer, it is nice to support the local guy. I am approx 3 hour drive from their shop and it is easy to feel "good" about support knowing I can drop by if i need something.

I have had excellent results and having an in house table has really helped my through put.

Accuracy seems spot on, I have not measured any thing with a dial as i have not felt the need too.

Support on the phone has been good. Some times you may not get a call back for a few hours but they call. this is more than i can say for some of the companies that i have spent 6X more money on machinery with.

I have had one minor issue with the table, the x-axis trips on an overcurrent fault. one of the guys came to my shop and check the machine over, he made some temporary adjustments to my settings and I will be getting the new parts this week.

The parts are bought out componenets and have nothing to do with the design/assembly of the machine.

Agin, I feel excellent value for the money, good support and a great product.

Hi Westec:

Glad to hear you are as happy as we are with the machine.

regards