585,763 active members*
4,187 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > MetalWork Discussion > What Boring head should I go with for CNC?

What Boring head should I go with for CNC?

I've been looking into purchsing a boring head for primarily doing bearing pockets that are roughly 1.8" to 2.2" in diameter. I'm looking for some advice about which setups and or manufactuers would be best. My tolerence is .0005". Is a traditional boring head ok of should I bite the bullet and go with a boring tool holder/modular set-up? Most of the modular boring set-ups I've found are $800 and up for a CAT 40 tool holder. Any help is appeciated. If you could give specific part number that would be even better.

Thanks,
    Tyler Schurr

my experience is the cheap one's work as good as the expensive ones, the boring bar and inserts are what matters. Don't trust the dial on .0005" tolerance, measure and adjust with a finger tap on the allen wrench until you get your tolerance. Just my 2 cents.

Well, it depends on the type of work you are doing, and how critical. If you have someones' part on the table which might be worth a hundred grand and has 100 hours of machining time into it, as an example, then I'd go for a very good quality boring head like a "Wohlhaupter".
    Believe me you can trust that when you dial off a tenth with a Wohly.... it will be a tenth off the diameter. It's well worth the extra bucks to go with the good stuff in eliminating worry and guesswork wondering if that last cut scrapped your part.

Forgot to add one quote I heard a long time ago.

" The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of low cost has faded."

I'll also vouch for Wohlhaupter boring heads. Used a few and they are really good. Also used Kelch heads, they're quite good, but I think they're more expensive.

One thing I learned the hard way, remember the spring pass!

we use Sandvik super fine adjustments into the .00008 range. capto mount $$$$$