585,749 active members*
3,981 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Tried to buy a HF X2 yesterday. Failed!

Tried to buy a HF X2 yesterday. Failed!

Went to the HF in Saddle Brook, NJ on Sunday. Bought some unrelated stuff then told the cashier I wanted to place a special order. He looked up the X2 on the corporate stock list and guess what? There aren't any!

I ask if I can place the order anyway, and he said he didn't want to do that because "it took 2 months to get last time he tried that"!

He told me to call back Thursday to find out more. Boy was I bummed!

I did glance at his stock screen and saw that the list price is $289, not that we would ever see that...

Sigh.

tom

I wonder if they are phasing out the X2. I just picked one up yesterday for $200. Of course it was the display model, but the only thing missing/wrong with the mill was missing the small handle that screws into the Y axis hand wheel. Of course they didn't have the cheap set of tools that usually is included, but you don't really need them.

Very excited about the purchase. Just need to spend a little time cleaning it up.

One other note, they had the 9X20 lathe marked down to $300. I didn't have my pickup truck or I would have picked up the lathe as well. But since I already had a 9x20 lathe I opted for the X2 mill instead.

This was at the Baton Rouge, LA, Harbor Freight.

Quote Originally Posted by ddexd View Post
    I wonder if they are phasing out the X2. I just picked one up yesterday for $200. Of course it was the display model, but the only thing missing/wrong with the mill was missing the small handle that screws into the Y axis hand wheel. Of course they didn't have the cheap set of tools that usually is included, but you don't really need them.

Very excited about the purchase. Just need to spend a little time cleaning it up.

One other note, they had the 9X20 lathe marked down to $300. I didn't have my pickup truck or I would have picked up the lathe as well. But since I already had a 9x20 lathe I opted for the X2 mill instead.

This was at the Baton Rouge, LA, Harbor Freight.

$200 for the 44991??

And $300 for the 9 x 20 lathe?!?

I would have left there $500 lighter for sure.

Mine tried to give me the same story. I told them I wasnt in a rush and to go ahead and order it. Showed up 5 days later, not 2 months. I think they just dont want to go threw the paperwork of ordering one.

I went to HF intent on buying an X3; well, they didn't have that in stock or an X2. I then went to one of the grizzly stores to buy an X3. Guess what, they don't have it either and wouldn't sell me the display model. Finally, I broke down and let them order me one, and wouldn't you know my luck, it was smashed.

If it wasn't for the fact that I bought it with a credit card, they wouldn't have taken it back and sent me a new one. Make sure if you buy one of these, if you don't pay for it with a credit card where you can complain to the card company and get your money back, you had better have the mill delivered to the place you bought it so you can open it up and look at it before you take it home.

I'm pleased but sorry..

I'm pleased I got my CNCed SX3 8 months ago. Great gadget, might even go up in value and become a collector's item! Sorry you guys are having problems.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by neilw20 View Post
    I'm pleased I got my CNCed SX3 8 months ago. Great gadget, might even go up in value and become a collector's item! Sorry you guys are having problems.
    And I'm pleased that you could afford an SX3 w/CNC!

But I have a question: What is the front L-bracket for? The black one, holding something I can't quite figure out?
    http://www.syilamerica.com/images/da/RIMG0016.jpg

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by tooManyHobbies View Post
    But I have a question: What is the front L-bracket for? The black one, holding something I can't quite figure out?
    http://www.syilamerica.com/images/da/RIMG0016.jpg
    That is the digital read out for the spindle depth. The scale is attached to the L-bracket and you can see the bottom of the readout unit (black box) right above.

Quote Originally Posted by neilw20 View Post
    ..... might even go up in value and become a collector's item! Sorry you guys are having problems.
    And what exactly would cause it to go up in value? Overgrown computer periferals don't normally increase in value or demand as they get older, nor do machine tools.
    Although I wouldn't mind collecting 1 myself if the price were right.