585,605 active members*
3,263 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Remote send/receive

I use Predator DNC to upload and download programs. I have recently aquired a VF-0E and I am trying to set-up the machine to send and receive programs from the machine control. I have Mori mills and I can send up a program that tells the Predator software to load the program and wait for me to hit receive execute. I need to do this with the HAAS b/c my server is about 100ft away upstairs in a computer room. Can I get the HAAS to comunciate with the Predator software to send and receive from the machine control?? The HAAS does have a ethernet jack on it. Would I need to use that?

Yes, the Remote Request program will look the same as the Mori's. You should have 2 DB-25 connectors on the electrical cabinet. The top one is used for communications, the bottom one is usually for indexer controllers. The same cable wiring should work.

From the Haas LIST PROG screen, cursor to the Remote Request program and hit SEND RS232. When you see RS232 DONE, hit the END key (to highlight ALL) then hit RECV RS232.

080311-1446 EST USA

2hoop4inch:

Check your personal messages.

080312-1251 EST USA

2hoop4inch:

I believe you have indicated that you have an RF link to your HAAS RS232 port.

In any HAAS machines I have been exposed to the RS232 communication is essentially one-way based upon whether SEND or RECV was initiated.

To do what you want you need a program on HAAS that contains data that you send to the computer to tell the computer what you want sent. The sending program has to analyze your message and after a delay send the data to you. By some means that delay has to allow you time to move the HAAS cursor to ALL, and push RECV.

You need to know what protocol Predator uses to allow this operation. Then you can write a program for HAAS that accomplishes this exercise.

Thanks for the info. We are looking into it. I will post what I find out.

EXACTLY.

My IT gut won't be in until Friday and the PC is Admin locked. I cannot see the protocol. On my Mori mills we send a prog that looks like this.

O8000 (/GET 1101-00654)

We send this to our server that has Predator. Then we wait 10 seconds and type the prog # and hit receive execute. Prog loads. All of this takes place over a wireless connection for each machine through a Comtrol box.

I tried this on the Haas and it didn't work. I am going to verify communication with the Comtrol box and Predator before going any further with it.

080312-1644 EST USA

2hoop4inch:

How Predator works I do not know. But I have to assume it is constantly receiving from your HAAS RS232 port. Then it looks for an something in the incoming data stream that indicates that the received data is a request for it to send a particular file.

What will actually go out from HAAS for your sample code is

%
    O8000 (/GET 1101-00654)
    %

Predator may receive this, get the file to be sent, and then wait for some code from HAAS that signals that HAAS is ready to receive. In XonXoff mode I do not believe that HAAS sends any control code when you push RECV RS232, but in DC mode I believe one of the DC codes is sent. So you might try DC mode. Also try to find the Predator manual and see if they define the algorithm for this type of transaction.

When HAAS receives data from RS232 there must be a beginning % seen and an ending %. If Predator were to send the the % before HAAS was in receive, then HAAS would never load the file. This could occur if Predator used a timer to determine when to send data rather than waiting for some code from HAAS and you waited too long to put HAAS in receive mode.

Another possible problem is that Predator may not send any %s.

If your file to be received starts with an O-number in the first line, then if you put the HAAS cursor on ALL and push RECV RS232, then HAAS will use that first line O-number as the program number in HAAS memory.

2hoop4inch,

Have you (or the IT guy) created a machine (you can copy and paste one of the existing Mori's) in Predator DNC Administrator for the Haas, and set the comm port, etc?

2hoop4inch:

I ran an experiment on a 98 HAAS this morning.

In XonXoff mode there are no handshake codes sent unless there is actually a need to start and stop the data flow. So when you push RECV HAAS does nothing.

In DC CODES the following happens: When you press RECV HAAS sends 11h which is ctrl-Q or Xon or DC1 (the typical start character). This is repetitively output about every second. When data comes in that repetition is stopped and Xon will only occur following an Xoff as required. At the end of receiving data HAAS sends Xoff. So if you push RECV and then RESET you will get one or more Xons followed by an Xoff. If predator is using Xon to signal that it should start sending, then there should be no minimum time required before you press RECV after you send O8000.

In DC mode when sending data HAAS first sends 12h or ctrl-R or DC2, then the data, and ends with 14h or DC4.

It is possible that Predator after receiving the O8000 message that you sent will wait for an Xon code to start sending data to your control. Thus, I would try DC mode and see if it will work.

080319-1115 EST USA

2hoop4inch:

Have you solved your problem? If so what are the solution details?

For Predator, match the baud rates, 7, E, 2 with Software Flow Control and then disable the Program Wait. Set the CNC side up with same baud, 7, E, 2 and XON/XOFF with DC codes.

Test by sending from the CNC, send RS232 button, a part program and receive in the Predator. If this works, send back to the machine. Once you are this far, a new command called Remote will need to be setup like your Mori. It will work perfect.

Need help, give us a call. We sell Predator as well and can help with support.
    Greg Mercurio -Shop Floor Automations
    www.shopfloorautomations.com /619-461-4000