584,858 active members*
4,594 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

feedback isolator for laser

If you want frequencies up to 32Khz is much easier to design a PWM with a PIC microcontroller. About your optics... if you want to cut metal, use feedback isolator. If not, you will destroy the optics in laser cavity from the reflected beam. If you want frequencies up to 32Khz is much easier to design a PWM with a PIC microcontroller. About your optics... if you want to cut metal, use feedback isolator. If not, you will destroy the optics in laser cavity from the reflected beam.
    I bought the same laser model (G-100) last February and I finish my 2m x 2m CNC laser last May. I can cut steel and s/s up to 2mm.

Romos

Romos,

What types of options are there for feedback isolation? I've already purchased the optics. They were manufacture by Haas, and sold to me by a guy that has a lot of experience with lasers so the feedback isolation may already be there. But I'm not sure.

You can cut 2mm stainless steel?

Owen

owhite,

From your photos, I saw only the Cut Quality Enhancer. No feedback isolator.

I bought my feedback isolator from http://www.lasermech.com/125b.pdf

Yes I can cut 2mm stainless steel. It depends from your lens. I use 1.5" fl lens.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails feedback isolator .jpg   laser controller boards.jpg   PWM LCD.jpg   laser status LCD.jpg  

2mm steel cutting.jpg  

Romos,

thanks. I think you're right. From what I can see in the lasermech catalog I have a portion of the feedback isolator which improves the cut quality. I'll lasermech and see if they'll let me send them my optic and give me a quote for the feedback optics.

If you dont mind my asking, did you buy the remainder of your optics chain from lasermech, and what was the price?

owen

Yes, I bought all my optics from lasermech, except the Path Enclosure Tubes. (I make them on lathe).
    I don't remember what was the exact price, I have to find the invoice.

Romos

Romos,

what do you use for a support that goes underneath the metal as its being cut?

Owen

Owen,

It was difficult to find here honeycomb (I live in Cyprus), so I thought a simple solution.
    Aluminium angles L shape, 2 meter long, next each other. Something like this.... LLLLLLL.
    You can see them in photo.

Romos
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails table.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by owhite
    Romos,

What types of options are there for feedback isolation? I've already purchased the optics. They were manufacture by Haas, and sold to me by a guy that has a lot of experience with lasers so the feedback isolation may already be there. But I'm not sure.

You can cut 2mm stainless steel?

Owen

Romos,

I have another question for you. When you cut carbon steel and stainless steel, what is the quality of the cut? Someone told me that sometimes there is a buildup of material on the back of the cut, something some people call dross. This happens a lot when plasma cutters are used to cut sheet metal. I am hoping it that dross does not form when using a CO2 laser with oxygen.

Owen

Owen,

for galvanized and carbon steel, the cut edges are smooth and clean.

For Stainless steel, there is very little buildup of material on the back of the cut (not so much as plasma cutting), but you can remove it very easy.
    You have to find the right parameters, cutting speed, gas pressure and laser power.

To cut stainless steel with clean edges, you have to use Nitrogen as assist gas, but I don't know if G-100 is so powerful for this. I never try to cut metal with Nitrogen. If you will try this, I'm curious for the results.

Romos

Quote Originally Posted by Romos V.
    Owen,

for galvanized and carbon steel, the cut edges are smooth and clean.

For Stainless steel, there is very little buildup of material on the back of the cut (not so much as plasma cutting), but you can remove it very easy.
    You have to find the right parameters, cutting speed, gas pressure and laser power.

To cut stainless steel with clean edges, you have to use Nitrogen as assist gas, but I don't know if G-100 is so powerful for this. I never try to cut metal with Nitrogen. If you will try this, I'm curious for the results.

Romos
    Thank you Romos, I am so glad that I wont have a lot of dross. It is the main reason I have been working on the laser system and did not use a plasma cutter.

I should be ready to attemp cutting in the next few weeks. It is very exciting.

owen

can any one help me to find the right parameters for cutting mild steel of 1 mm thickness