584,866 active members*
4,845 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

y axis disconnect alarm

been having a problem with y axis disconnect on a fanuc o-m controller. It is a problem that has been happening for a while. I have been doing the p-cancel button on power up. But today it took about a dozen tries to get it to zero return.

Once i ran a program the first time it worked fine. The second time it seemes like it lost all idea where it is in the y axis. Nothing i try now seems to work. I shut the machine downand re-zeroed, but all that happens is a random tool path.

Any ideas? Thanks

disconnect

Sounds like you have a wire break, probably in the drag link, on your encoder cable. The other possibility is coolant in the motorplug, if that is possible on your machine. Best bet is to put on a new cable. As it is an 0M, nothing special, probably half a dozen twisted pair at max.
    Nine times out of ten, visual check, and continuity check, will show cable ok. Sometimes you can feel a "lump". For what it is worth, intermittent problem like this, remake the cable.
    Outside possibility of the power cable to the motor.

thanks...i will check that in the morning. I wish i would have keep track of whether i used coolant the day before a problem all along, but i know i did yesterday. I don't always need coolant ,as i cut a lot of plastics.

last time i tried the machine before i went home today i am almost sure it zero returned out about .25" from where it should have even though the light came on. When i tried the program it was zig zaging back and forth like it was trying to find its way out of a maze. It just does know where it is ,where it come from , or where its going.

I should also mention it is a Kiwa/Excel vmc, made in '91. Not sure if it makes a difference or not but any info might help solve it.

Quote Originally Posted by GEM View Post
    Sounds like you have a wire break, probably in the drag link, on your encoder cable. The other possibility is coolant in the motorplug, if that is possible on your machine. Best bet is to put on a new cable. As it is an 0M, nothing special, probably half a dozen twisted pair at max.
    Nine times out of ten, visual check, and continuity check, will show cable ok. Sometimes you can feel a "lump". For what it is worth, intermittent problem like this, remake the cable.
    Outside possibility of the power cable to the motor.
    The motor plug was damp. Ater drying it out and cleaning it up I still had the same problem. Is there by any chance something i needed to do besides cancel-p to reset the machine. I am about to take the cable out so i would hate to go through it only to find out i missed something simple.

Hello
    Please check the troubleshooting information here.
    http://www.kfasllc.com/F0_troubleshoot.htm
    Let me know if you have any questions. Good luck.

removed the cable an did a continuity check and everything was fine. We couldn't find anyone who could or would make us up a cable. Some figured it was a propitary(sorry about the spelling on that) issue or a conflict with Fanuc so they wouldn't do it.

To make a long story short i put the cable back in and it worked. So it is either fixed or Monday morning i take the cable back out...

We always make our own cables up when installing systems.
    Haven't found anything proprietary yet.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Please check with http://www.fanuccables.com/. they should be able to help you.