585,556 active members*
3,632 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Exclamation A Proposition

Hi everyone.

My name's Ian, I'm 24, live in Brampton, work in Mississauga, Ontario. I'm fascinated by machining and manufacturing, and I'm interested in learning everything I can.

I did a little university for computer science, then finished college for automotive technology. I've been selling auto parts for the last three years. The job is ok, but less than challenging.

I'm looking for a machinist (manual or cnc, both eventually) who enjoys teaching motivated students. If I can find the right person, I'd like to trade my time, say 3 nights a week, 6-10pm, or so, in exchange for their knowledge.

I have some very fundamental experience with manual lathes, from highschool. And some experience from school with g-code programming. I've been poring through introductory machining texts from the '60s and '70s recently.

If there's anyone around who's interested, I'd love to hear from them.

Thanks everyone.

Nobody, eh?

Sadly the job situation seems to be the same, can't win for trying.

~ Ian

The best thing for you may be to get an entry level machine operator job, even running a band saw. If you are motivated and have a good head on your shoulders you can learn lots and move up the ladder to a more interesting position.

When its in a work setting most people will gladly help you out, but not 10 or 12 hours a week of there own time.

You could always enrol in a tech school machining program, thats what I did.
    Live free or die

I'm taking a nightschool course for CNC machining, at Humber College.

I've spent some time trying to find a machine operator job, and keep getting the same reply "Sorry, we're looking for someone with experience." It's a little frustrating.

You have a point about someone donating 10 - 12 hours of their own time, but I was hoping to find someone in the machining field similar to a lot of my automotive customers - a single technician shop, with lots of work. These guys work late every night, and don't mind the company.

It was a thought, anyway.

Thanks for the reply.

~ Ian