585,977 active members*
3,715 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Smile Totally new to this!

Hi everybody!

I am totally new to this, but I am absolutely going to build my own CNC. Have been looking around on sites on the Internet, and am beginning to get the picture.
    Now, to my first CNC, I will make it simple. The framework is fairly simple. As I see it, biggest difficulty is the connection between PC and steppers. So I have decided to buy a 3-axis kit. And this is where I need some advice. Have been looking at Xylotex 3 axis drive box takes the componenets of the "3 axis system kit" ( http://www.xylotex.com/Econo3Ax425.htm ). Is this an ok kit? Or are there better kits? I like the fact that the kit include both the steppers and the controller, which means that I do not have to use time to find components that fits together.
    I would really appreciate advice!!

Oh, and if anyone is interested: I live in Stavanger, Norway, and sadly I don't know anyone else here that build CNCs. This forum looks great and I am sure I will learn a lot from you guys, reading the postings.
    Thanks!!

new cnc

Hey, Hello to another newbie. I'm building a hobby machine from whatever scrap I can find or buy cheap. The only thing I am scared of is the 3 axis driver board might not be strong enough to drive the motors it will take to run my Frankenstein monster I am building. So if you are building a big machine, make sure you have enough motor and driver to run it. I just today got my driver board to work with Mach3 software. I haven't got my frame started yet. Good luck. Dextron

I am building a small machine

Hi,
    thanks for the advice.
    Since this is my first try, it will be a small machine. I will try to build it from whatever parts I can find. Sadly all the scrapyards in the district (the good ones) has been industrialised, which means that ordinary people are no longer allowed in the yard. This makes the project more expensive.
    I want to use it on wood, aluminium and maybe silver, so I will have to find out which steppers and router is strong enough for both wood and metal. If anyone knows a good surplus company, or a seller on eBay, I will appreciate hearing from you.

If you have the extra $, invest in a 4-axis controller board if not the full 4-axis kit. Like most of the DIY'ers here, you'll probably end up upgrading with a larger build. And you'll probably need to slave the 4th axis to the X to drive 2 screws. Just call it investing for the future.

At least this was a mistake I made. I've got the Xylotex 3-axis kit on my first CNC. Needing the 4th with my new build. The Xylotex is an excellent combination and has worked extremely well for me.

Quote Originally Posted by helenroskil View Post
    Hi everybody!

I am totally new to this, but I am absolutely going to build my own CNC. Have been looking around on sites on the Internet, and am beginning to get the picture.
    Now, to my first CNC, I will make it simple. The framework is fairly simple. As I see it, biggest difficulty is the connection between PC and steppers. So I have decided to buy a 3-axis kit. And this is where I need some advice. Have been looking at Xylotex 3 axis drive box takes the componenets of the "3 axis system kit" ( http://www.xylotex.com/Econo3Ax425.htm ). Is this an ok kit? Or are there better kits? I like the fact that the kit include both the steppers and the controller, which means that I do not have to use time to find components that fits together.
    I would really appreciate advice!!

Oh, and if anyone is interested: I live in Stavanger, Norway, and sadly I don't know anyone else here that build CNCs. This forum looks great and I am sure I will learn a lot from you guys, reading the postings.
    Thanks!!
    ther's a controller board for unipolar steppers you can make by your self it's called CNC3AX ther's the PCB & partlist, but every thing else is explained in french google can solve that problem. that controller can control 3 unipolar steppers 5 amp/phase max & at 40V & it can be connected to the // port directly with a printer cable <1 M long. the protel schematics are supplied
    here is the link: http://mac1.ifrance.com/cnc3ax/index.htm

Newbie- Totally new to this!

Hej Norske, jeg er Dansk men skriver fra Spanien.

Ok lets keep the rest in English.

It seems that we have the same problems, now I'm totally new to cnc -zone, and I've have send my opening thread, and I've got whole one reply, is that normal people are that welcoming here on the cnc-zone, I was really surprised

I have send the same question as you, and properly thousand others it can be there for that people are a little bit tired of answering the same b.... question,
    but have you got any further. do you have and any use full links , so a totally new are able to understand it.

I have more or less the idea how to build the 3axis table.

I can get the stepper motors(embpapst 60.75), for reasonable price I do elevators, and that's the door motor, and I can properly use the door drive/power unit too, but I don't know if it is exact enough.

Have you got any further from the drawing soft ware(and which are the best) to the motor drive, what to put between.

I was on of the links there was in your thread from the 20-03-08, and saw there was some thing with Protel, which are for doing electronic print circuit.

My budget are limited, and I would really like to build my own 3axis cnc, of course a s high quality ,and so precise as possible.

Br
    Valther

Xylotex

Hi folks

How are xylotex 4 axis, reasonable starter kit, can i do heavy duty jobs, is it reliable, exact etc.

Br

Valther