584,862 active members*
5,456 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Uncategorised MetalWorking Machines > What's the best 1/8" end mill for 6061 alum.

What's the best 1/8" end mill for 6061 alum.

Hello all
    I need to use a 1/8" end mill to cut some intricate features. I have not worked with small cutters before. I have to cut an irregular slot 3/8" deep. What is the best manufacturer, speeds, feeds, and depths of cuts. The machine is a large knee mill, so rigidity will not be a problem.

Thanks in advance
    Joe

What is the width of your irregular slot? If it is .125" then you may want to consider a 7/64" cutter.

It may take you a little practice to figure out what will work best for you. I actually like the little Chinese made 3 flute EM's off Ebay sold by 800Watt. He doesn't comunicate very well, but I have ordered several batches of them from him and they always arrive in the mail a few days later. No trouble.
    With such small EM, you may be prone to break one or two before you get it right. You can get 10 of these for about $20 shipped or maybe less. These are 3/8" shanks. I can cut 30 of my 6061 parts out without any breakage normally on my home made bench top mill.
    I am cutting @ .04 DOC @ 3800 RPM and 35 IPM using coolant. I trim both ends of the 3/8" x 1" stock. Interpolate 2 1/4" through holes and peck drill 5 1/8" holes in the stock with these EM's. 4 to 5 minute part cycle at most.
    Lee

Quote Originally Posted by LeeWay View Post
    ... sold by 800Watt. He doesn't comunicate very well, but I have ordered several batches of them from him and they always arrive in the mail a few days later. No trouble. ...
    I purchased (a chuck) from him recently, and his communication is really really poor. I received extra unrelated items (pen torches) in the package, but he won't get back to me, so that I can send thos back to him.

Actually I received a free gift the first time I ordered too. Can't remember what is was. Yes I do. It was a set of nails sets. I thought that was nice of him.
    I wouldn't worry about those little torches. He obviously doesn't.
    Lee

Thank you

Hello

Thank you for everyones input. To clarify yes the slot is wider than .125" its .140". It is a jr dragster wheel for my sons dragster that I have designed. I purchased the wheel blanks, now I am designing the custom center to cut out. There are a few places where the area is .140" wide in the tail fin area. Most of the areas I can cut with a .375" em. But the tail fin and pectoral fins will need to be done with a .125" em. Do you think I can make repetitive passes increasing Z depths(leaving finish stock on the walls) until I break through, then finish the walls? They are only .312" thick. I have a picture on the website I am developing, please feel free to take a look under "products" then "motorsports". BTW any ideas for the site will be greatly appreciated(please remember it is still under construction).

Leeway -- a gift would've been one. There were 10 or 12 of these pen torches in the box.

Cycle start -- check out shars.com for endmills. I'm quite happy with the bang-for-the-buck with their M42 enamills (which I use with 6061-T6). I've never used their 1/8" sizes though -- just the larger ones like 3/8" and 1/2".

Cheers,
    -Neil

Do you have a link?
    Lee

Cycle Start,
    These have worked very well.

http://www.lakeshorecarbide.com/inde...TS&Category=35

Cycle Start,
    Ask 10 machinists for one endmill and you'll get 100 different answers. So here's a couple more one for the grab bag, http://www.yg1usa.com/ and http://www.harveytool.com/

Good source's for odd-ball tools. Especially Harvey, they have endmills down to .001" diameter not that you'd need one that small.

Good luck

forgot the link

Sorry guys I forgot the link to my website. www.cyclestartcnc.com Thanks again for the em info. I need to order something soon. I might even redesign some features to accomodate larger end mills. Check out the solid model on my site.