585,660 active members*
3,199 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Unhappy Limit switches and home switches

I'm using Turbocnc and have managed to make the motors move in XYZ, things are looking GREAT. On my machine there is only switches on one side of each axis. On the X and Y they are mounted away from the motor side, I guess thats the limit of movements? On the Z axis the switch is mounted on the motor side, is that a home switch? And thats my problem: I don't understand how to set values so the machine can see that it has reached home position when I only have one switch for each axis. Can I use the "limit switches" as home switches?
    Turbocnc sees all the swithes when I jog each axis. Do I define home position as 0,0,0? When I eventually some time will use a peace of wood for working area, do I jog the machine to a convenient place on the work area and set the axis to zero again? I want my axis to come home after work
    viktorM

ViktorM,
    The whole home limit thing depends on how you have defined them in your ini file. Unless you are using version found in the file R-325Art.zip located in the y?hoo groups files for TurboCnc, they will have to be either home or limit, but not both.

As for the definition of the home postion, this depends on your setup. In MY case, on the X axis I have picked a point that I call X=0 (because of my tooling setup); but the home/limit switch is actually at the table limit and is at X=-2.8". "Home" for any axis can be where YOU define it to be and it may not be 0,0,0 it may be at any convienient position that you choose (or in my case the REFERENCE home is also determined by my limit switches which is a do not exceed in this direction position for axis movement). Notice, I said reference, I can "home" which sets up my machine coordinate refrences and then either jog or G code to my chosen 0 point for any axis.

Hope this helps, but if I have confused you even more (and I probably have), let me know and I will try to help.

Bubba

Bubba,
    Thanks for your quick and constructive replay. As soon as I get home from work I will check my setup and take it from there. You cleared up a few things for me. This is so great, :cheers: thanks again.
    viktorM