585,712 active members*
3,932 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Gecko Drives > Possible Gecko Drive?

Possible Gecko Drive?

Hi! I bought some servo drives from someone who said that they were actually relabeled Gecko drives. I couldn't find any information through internet searches. Does anybody have information on Servo Systems Co. BSD-2000 drives? Are they really a re-labeled Gecko? Thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1869.jpg  

sure looks like it to me. I wouldn't see why someone would go through the trouble of making thier servo driver look exactly like a Gecko.

You might do a search on the 'zone. Seem to recall a few years back someone had done a "knock-off" of the Geckos (or some other drive). There may have been mention of a lawsuit for infrigement - but may not have happened?
    No doubt they chose a good product to "violate.", but how well did they build it?
    Best of luck - :cheers: Jim
    Experience is the BEST Teacher. Is that why it usually arrives in a shower of sparks, flash of light, loud bang, a cloud of smoke, AND -- a BILL to pay? You usually get it -- just after you need it.

What I thought was that way back at the start of Geckos, they had made OEM drives for other companies to sell. I do seem to remember something about some infringement activities but I can't remember what that was related to.

That picture is a blast from the past. In early 2000 Servo Systems Inc. had us private label the G320 for them. They sold about 100 drives that year so what you are seeing is a G320-REV0 drive with their logo. Those are from the very first G320 production run because they have the gray non-removable connector block.

Mariss

Thanks Mariss! Are there any "gotchas" I should watch out for with a Rev 0 drive as opposed to the current G320? I only have some experience with stepper systems but I'd like to explore what a servo system can do. I have some Ametek motors and small Pittman servos to experiment with.

Quote Originally Posted by juzwuz View Post
    What I thought was that way back at the start of Geckos, they had made OEM drives for other companies to sell.
    90% of Geckos go to OEM's, but I don't know if they are labeled diffently.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

The G320-REV0 had a very twitchy ERR/RES meaning it would spontaneously reset the drive if there was any noise on that line. This issue was resolved with REV3 drives onward. Place a 100nF (0.1uF) cap from ERR/RES to ENC- to minimize this or better yet, leave ERR/RES wired to ENC+.

Mariss