585,927 active members*
3,261 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Events, Product Announcements Etc > News Announcements > A BETTER TAP WRENCH! SELF CENTERING!
Page 1 of 2 12

A BETTER TAP WRENCH! SELF CENTERING!

I would like to announce a push we are making at Northern Machining Inc. to try and test the marketability of our improved tap wrench.

Please visit the following link for more info: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...X:NEWLIST#LIST

To check out a video showing how it could be used in a milling machine, or drill press. http://northernmachininginc.com/tap%20demo.html

The most important realization to make, is that this design keeps the tap centered with the spindle in the machine. Not all taps come with a center hole for supporting the tap when running it in by hand, with a tap wrench. This causes one to try and tap without proper upper support and many times can result in a broken tap which can not only be expensive for the cost of the tap, but also can leave the broken tap in the part that is being worked on, which in alot of cases can only be removed with the use of an EDM which can be a very expensive process.

Our wrench gives multiple options for the upper support needed to remove risk of breaking a tap!

Thanks for taking the time to check out our product, and any suggestions or comments are welcome!

Regards,
    Chad Ashley

[email protected]

You better put that video on u tube or you will eat up the transfer allowance on the site in a big hurry. Neat handle.
    On all equipment there are 2 levers...
    Lever "A", and Lever F'in "B"

Quote Originally Posted by DSL PWR View Post
    You better put that video on u tube or you will eat up the transfer allowance on the site in a big hurry. Neat handle.
    I took your advice and did put it on Youtube.com

Here is the link:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7K4R1ia4L4"]YouTube - Unique Tap Wrench! SAVES MONEY IN LONG RUN![/ame]

I am really looking for some feedback if anyone would be kind enough to reply. Anything is welcome!

Thanks,
    Chad

It looks like a nice well thought out tool. If I did any amount of tapping I would probably get one. I might anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by lowpull View Post
    It looks like a nice well thought out tool. If I did any amount of tapping I would probably get one. I might anyways.

Thanks for the positive feedback. I am very curious as to what people think of the price. Would you say that because of the benefits that our tap wrench offers over others, it is worth the cost $89.95? Our wrench is around the cost of the higher end tap wrench's like Starrett, or Snap On, but does more to help eliminate the chance for tap breakage.

Chad

Are these available yet or do you have initial assessment versions one can purchase?
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

I see great benefit to the person that is using it centered over the hole under a machine spindle. Although, I almost always power tap.

I can see no benefit to the person that is tapping on a bench or on a job site, which is where myself and my employees tend to use tap wrenches.

Appears to be a good product and you should have respectable sales with it.
    www.integratedmechanical.ca

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    Are these available yet or do you have initial assessment versions one can purchase?
    Al.

Yes, these are available and I am pointing anyone interested to the following ebay site because this person has been a huge help in trying to market these for us. We have been testing a wrench now for over 4 yrs. and have not had any problems, and the hardened jaws hold up very well without deformation.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Tap-Reamer-Wrenc...QQcmdZViewItem

Thanks,
    Chad

Quote Originally Posted by DareBee View Post
    I see great benefit to the person that is using it centered over the hole under a machine spindle. Although, I almost always power tap.

I can see no benefit to the person that is tapping on a bench or on a job site, which is where myself and my employees tend to use tap wrenches.

Appears to be a good product and you should have respectable sales with it.
    Your are exactly right in that, it does have a huge benefit for those that tap using the spindle of a milling machine or even a small drill press which many homeowners have in there garage or basement. Also there is no benefit when it comes to bench use or on the field, except that our parts are all replaceable and the jaws are hardened.

I appreciate your feedback!

Chad

I like the low profile as it is annoying to raise/lower for the other style tool which I have and you showed, but the price is too high for that convenience and the amount of tapping I do and the accuracy required for most of it. The wide capacity range is nice (#80 - 1/2").

I don't want to insult you with what I would be willing to pay for it, even considering it is obviously made in the USA (which does count for a lot with me).
    Every day is a learning process, whether you remember yesterday or not is the hard part.
    www.distinctperspectives.com

It is an interesting design. I probably wouldn't buy it though. When I tap with my mill, I use power, and when I tap at the bench I like a long thoated version over a T handle. It may have a market from the guys that want/need an "Oh WOW" tool in their box.

I see the price has gone up already! (nuts)
    Al.
    Quote Originally Posted by northernmach View Post
    Yes, these are available and I am pointing anyone interested to the following ebay site because this person has been a huge help in trying to market these for us. We have been testing a wrench now for over 4 yrs. and have not had any problems, and the hardened jaws hold up very well without deformation.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Tap-Reamer-Wrenc...QQcmdZViewItem

Thanks,
    Chad

Albert E.

I see the price has gone up already! (nuts)
    Al.

Yes, the price did go up due to the fact that the kind person placing the ad on Ebay for me realized that he would be taking a loss after the fees if one was sold. Everyone, I do appreciate the feedback and I am realizing myself that what we thought was going to be a fair price for the wrench, because of its uniqueness, looks to be to costly over a normal style tap wrench. These were made 100% in house at our machine shop and our cost to make this first set was around what we are asking. We definately need to get lower on our price to sell!

Would you all be kind enough to state how low the price would have to be to really get you thinking about a purchase. Keeping in mind that this does have an additional benefit which may or may not help with your tapping needs.

Thanks,
    Chad

Quote Originally Posted by northernmach View Post
    Would you all be kind enough to state how low the price would have to be to really get you thinking about a purchase. Keeping in mind that this does have an additional benefit which may or may not help with your tapping needs.
    Right now it would be around $120.00 for me by the time the smoke had cleared.
    I had contemplated on it earlier, as to whether it would offer any advantage to present methods and I can see times when it would be very usefull to have.
    I think for me to have made a snap decision earlier, it would have had to have been around $80 ~ $85.00 tops, landed price.
    BTW you may want to ask for a review over in the http://www.practicalmachinist.com/
    Al.

Albert E.

Since it would combine several other options, I'd be willing to go to 65-75 on my door step, I am only a hobbyist though so shops might see more benefit and be willing to spend more.
    Every day is a learning process, whether you remember yesterday or not is the hard part.
    www.distinctperspectives.com

Right now it would be around $120.00 for me by the time the smoke had cleared.
    I had contemplated on it earlier, as to whether it would offer any advantage to present methods and I can see times when it would be very usefull to have.
    I think for me to have made a snap decision earlier, it would have had to have been around $80 ~ $85.00 tops, landed price.
    BTW you may want to ask for a review over in the http://www.practicalmachinist.com/
    Al.

Al,

I appreciate your honesty and taking the time to think about the advantages our tap wrench has over others. I think if it was being sold by a distributor such as mcmaster or msc, this same wrench would not be so difficult to sell based on price. But then we would have to be able to sell this to them at a much lower cost to allow them a markup.

I am going to take your advice and check out the practical machinist website and try to get some reviews there.

Thanks,
    Chad
    www.northernmachininginc.com

Quote Originally Posted by cadmonkey View Post
    Since it would combine several other options, I'd be willing to go to 65-75 on my door step, I am only a hobbyist though so shops might see more benefit and be willing to spend more.

Excellent! I have been hoping to get some response by individuals that are hobbyists or have a need for it at home.

Thanks,
    Chad
    www.northermachininginc.com

Hello,
    I just wanted to post a new link to the relisted Tap Wrench on eBay. This new listing also has several new pictures provided by a recent buyer showing a few pics of it in action at the bottom of the page. The old listing had over 800 hits and I wanted to thank all the CNCZone members for their interest or curiosity for this item!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Tap-Wrench-DualJ...742.m153.l1262

Regards,
    Regards,
    Wes

Thanks Frank Ford

Just wanted to post a thanks to Frank Ford for purchasing our wrench and putting a review of our tap wrench on your website:

http://www.frets.com/HomeShopTech/Re...shoptools.html

Very much appreciated!
    Chad Ashley
    http://www.northernmachininginc.com

Page 1 of 2 12