585,967 active members*
4,429 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Shopmaster/Shoptask > Shopmaster 2000 CNC first post

Shopmaster 2000 CNC first post

Hello all,

I'm new to this list cause I am contemplating converting my Shopmaster 2000 to CNC. I've used it for some time for basic machining and need to move on with it into CNC or get something purpose built. Any insight into this project would be helpfull. There are too many questions to ask right away so if anyone can give me the basics of this that would be a good start.

Thanks Larry

Tweasl,
    My unit had a Bridgemill with 4 axis servo controls and it served us well. When I came home, I found a used Shopmaster 2000 with Quadra lift. I am now working on adding the bridge mill style support to upgrade the machine. Since you already have experience with your machine, you probably know its capacities and limits. Do you have the Quadra Lift attachment? As a CNC lathe it should work fine as is., but for CNC milling you really need the quadra lift and bridge arm support. These are the things that set the Shopmaster apart from the rest of the 3 in 1 machines. Our servo unit was powerful and fast- 150 inch per minute traverse. I think most stepper systems will be in the 30 inch per minute range, which is probably adequate for most hobbyists. I would recommend DRO if you don't already have it. Ball screws will also help, but are not absolutely necessary, on my 2000 machine I have adjusted the double acme nuts down to about 0.002-3" backlash on X and y. On the Z, the ball screw upgrade will be a big improvement for any close tolerance CNC milling.
    Hope this helps

Shoptask 2000 CNC

Hello Sharpshooter90

Thanks for the info. It sounds like I'll be looking for a quadralift setup. I figured this was the first step. I saw an ad for a rarely used unit that was ~ 1500.00. Thats probably a good deal. I too have got the backlash down to the .002 - .003 range and that is adequate for what I do for know. I work in a machine tech center for a big company (I'm a test technician for turbochargers) and I see what CNC can do all the time. I was wondering if upgrading my machine or selling it and then buying a more CNC ready 3in1 would be the way to go. What do you think?

Larry

Larry,
    It all depends on your situation. If you bought your machine because you had already decided that a 3 in 1 was what you wanted, then you should probably proceed on course.
    Most people go this route for reasons of space so they can get as much machine capacity as possible in a limited area. If you are planning on doing a lot of milling either manual or CNC, then you definitely need the quadra lift with bridge support arm. If your work is mostly lathe, then you are probably OK as-is. If you think you need the quadra lift function, you can probably build it yourself with help from some of the guys here or on the Shoptask forum for a few hundred dollars. It could be a fun project if you have the time to do it, but if you really need to get going on some jobs right away, you would be better off to sell what you have and either buy a used quadra lift machine like I did or a new Patriot if your budget allows.
    Our unit had access to a massive machine shop facility with the best of the best, but for our particular purpose we needed something that was compact and quickly portable- that is how we ended up with a Bridgemill machine. As I said before, it did everything we needed and we could put it back in the crate and move it with only a few hours notice.
    Hope this helps

Hello Sharpshooter,
    I have a Shopmaster Eldorado (1999 vintage) with the quadra lift. What is involved in adding a bridge support arm? Did you make your own or is this a retromit from shopmaster?
    Thanks,
    Ed

Hello sharpshooter 90,

A lot of info at once, but the idea of building the quadralift function sounds intriguing enough to want to do it. I'll call shoptask and see whats available to purchase and decide where to go from there. Thanks

Larry

To Beamhome,
    I haven't finished my 5th column yet- there was a post with pictures on the Shoptask users forum from a guy who built one, but I couldn't find it- you may have to spend some time searching the messages.

To Larry,
    I don't think Shoptask has any parts left over for sale, but they did have a quadra lift machine for sale on E-bay.