585,712 active members*
4,218 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Where to buy Metal and Plastics?

I'm having a hard time finding a source in Canada or will ship to Canada.
    I need some aluminum,brass, stainless, acetal, acylic and teflon rods and sheets. I'm a home hobby machinist and only require small amounts.

I've check mcmaster-carr(no Canadian shipping) Smallparts(fedex only shipping) and ebay(rip-off...)

I'm near Windsor Ontario by the way.

Thanks Michale

try metalsupermarkets, they're slow but could probably track down your needs

Have you tried any local machineshops? Look for a shop that does mostly custom work. You'll pick up on their attitude towards hobbiests pretty quickly. If they show no interest in serving you, walk out the door.

I've lucked into a shop that finds my projects interesting (or maybe comical ). Walked out several doors before finding these guys.
    Anyone who says "It only goes together one way" has no imagination.

I know crossing the border is a pain now, but there's a metal supermarket about 30 minutes from the bridge in Livonia, MI.

Edit: They have one in London too, and maybe closer.
    http://www.metalsupermarkets.com/MSC...ARIO&REGION=ON
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

special material

If you haven't found a source for your material, you should call metal supermarket and ask for Paulette. The phone number is 1-800-759-1743.

Thanks everyone. Found a source for the metals now just need to find a place for the plastics.

For some of the items on that list a large supplier might be the only option. For routine metals, such as aluminum, searching locally has it's benefits.

Case in point #2. I recently bought some metal from a local shop, a few miles closer than the one mentioned in the previous post. I got a tour of the shop, a lot of good advice, and some info about an upcoming machinist/hobby show. It turns out the shop owner has a hobby shop in his basement. Before I left the owner apologized for taking so much of my time!

Don't overlook the local option.

Edit/ LOL, you posted while I was typing in slomo.
    Anyone who says "It only goes together one way" has no imagination.

Honestly other than the metal supermarkets mentioned I don't know any local suppliers. I checked 2 different phone books and nothing.

I buy a lot more plastic than steel or aluminum, Try Johnston plastics or Redwood plastics. I have both of them here in Edmonton, but Redwood is about 30% cheaper in price.

There is a Johnston in Toronto if that helps, Redwood is only west side of the country.
    Live free or die

Quote Originally Posted by DefiantK View Post
    Thanks everyone. Found a source for the metals now just need to find a place for the plastics.
    Try GE polymer @ 1-800-565-7724

jeff

I get all my plastics from PA Plastics in Hamilton.

Try www.abilitymetals.com ,they are located in Ajax just outside of toronto east. They are cheaper than metal super market.

hmm that is strange I just made a order to mcmaster for some pvc plumbing parts, acrylic tubes and some acme rods. I got nailed big time on shipping charge but they did send it to me. I'm In NB

For Plastics I think there is a Redwood Plastics in your area. They can get you everything in plastic. Check out Johnson Plastics too.

Redwood used to have a shop near you. I would check them out on-line. If not call the guys in the Vancouver office, they are part of a buying group and they are connected to lots of stores all over the place.

Cheers,

Bloefeld

I can't believe nobody mentioned The Plastic Store yet. They have lots of information online, but not their prices.

http://www.theplasticstore.com/default.asp

Any suggestions where I can find extruded aluminum in the GTA preferably near Markham. Thanks in advance.

Noel