586,005 active members*
5,191 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

the best Vice for a Tormach?

Planning a vice for a Tormach need 6" not sure the best fit vice that will give at the least 6". What vice did you use? and are you happy with it?

I found the Kurt D688 6" vise works great on the Tormach. I cut a U shaped opening in the plastic splash guard to accommodate the hex bolt through. The D688 vise only sticks out about an inch on the Y axis side. The opening of the D688 vise is 8.8”.
    http://ph.groups.yahoo.com/group/tor.../view/4a78?b=2
    http://ph.groups.yahoo.com/group/tor...78?b=3&m=s&o=0

Don Clement
    Running Springs, California

Quad-I

I have been using the Quad-I 4" vise since shortly after I received my Tormach. They make a 6" version that would meet your size needs.

The Quad-I is a vise designed for CNC as it can be mounted flat or on its sides for more flexible use. The stationary jaw is the front one so once you set your Y Axis zero point, it doesn't change when you switch workpieces. It also allows you to work in the first quadrant with positive X and Y coordinates (and hence the name). This to me makes it real simple to use.

I have no connection to the company except as a satisfied customer. Stan the owner was real easy to deal with (www.quad-i.com)

John
    Boulder, CO

Thanks I went ahead with the kurt just because it is a fact that it is precision and I have used them for years. Thank you. I got your point about the quad looks nice but I needed to be able to put a 6.5" part and maybe larger I can see where that vise can be nice though.

Here's another vote for the Kurt.

I have a bunch of milling vices, they all work fine, but ultimatly I got tired of running out of jaw space so I bought a Kurt D688.

Its a big heavy vice, beautifully put together, but most importantly the D688's maw is truly something to behold. Look at eBay and you can probably snatch a new one for 400 bucks or so plus shipping.

So here's the next silly question. I read the part about cutting out the spash guard for the Kurt 6" vise, but will the Tormach reach all the way across the vise? A huge maw doesn't help that much if you can't mill all the way from the top molar to the bottom molar...

Would one of you post a picture or two of the Kurt on the Tormach, and show the machine at both ends of the vise? Thanks!

- just gary

Quote Originally Posted by justgary View Post
    So here's the next silly question. I read the part about cutting out the spash guard for the Kurt 6" vise, but will the Tormach reach all the way across the vise? A huge maw doesn't help that much if you can't mill all the way from the top molar to the bottom molar...

Would one of you post a picture or two of the Kurt on the Tormach, and show the machine at both ends of the vise? Thanks!

- just gary
    Gary,

The Kurt D688 works very well for me on my Tormach. I am able to machine my largest parts that are 8" across. YMMV BTW another advantage of the 6" Kurt D688 is that jaw parts (i.e. soft jaws, stepped jaws, jaws with work stops, etc.)are industry standard and commonly available unlike the Tormach 5" vise in which parts for are odd and not so common.

~Don

I have seen pictures somewhere not sure where. But it does fit.

Kurt!

I also stand by Kurt because of years of great performance.

I'm curious, to those who have the D688 on their PCNC1100, does the extra weight of the vice concern you that it may result in premature wear of the dovetails or cantilever loading when the center of mass is extended out past the saddle?

It's got to weigh more than the 5" vice Tormach sells... not sure by how much though.

I'll buy the Kurt regardless because of it's reputation. Just food for thought!

Quote Originally Posted by _swede View Post
    I also stand by Kurt because of years of great performance.

I'm curious, to those who have the D688 on their PCNC1100, does the extra weight of the vice concern you that it may result in premature wear of the dovetails or cantilever loading when the center of mass is extended out past the saddle?
    I have been using the Kurt D688 on my Tormach for 1.5 years of heavy use. There has been no measurable wear on the ways.

Don Clement
    Running Springs, California

I use the Kurt D50. It's only a 5 inch, but fits just like the Tormach vise does. Keep an eye out on ebay though cause this unit is out of production.

Quote Originally Posted by highspeedmazak View Post
    Thanks I went ahead with the kurt just because it is a fact that it is precision and I have used them for years. Thank you. I got your point about the quad looks nice but I needed to be able to put a 6.5" part and maybe larger I can see where that vise can be nice though.
    Hi there..

Just a note here:

The Quad-I Six inch Vise will hold just over seven inches if need be.

I just thought you should know.

Regards,

Stanley Dornfeld

I would have thought the best vice for a Tormach or any mill would be spending too much time on your hobby and not enough with your family.

Vises

I would think that if you had a CNC to make your own vise jaws. An industry standard vise would not be an issue.
    BTW I hope to be ordering my Tormach tomorrow, and I will order the Tormach vise. But I have a Kurt on the manual mill I already own, so an extra vise would be needed so both machines can be building.
    RAD. Yes those are my initials. Idea, design, build, use. It never ends.
    PCNC1100 Series II, w/S3 upgrade, PDB, ATC & 4th's, PCNC1100 Series II, 4th

After looking around for the past month or two at vises I purchased a Kurt D688 for my Tormach. I was tired of always having a part that needed just a bit larger vise so this one should do the trick. It's a very nice tool IMHO..

I just bought the Parlec PWS-6900 which is supposed to be the same format as the big Kurt (9" jaw opening ability & 6" width) Enco had them for $376 which included free UPS shipping so I figured I'd give it a try.

Once I get my machine set-up I'll give it a mini-review on how it works on the Tormach.

Parlec PWS 6900

I have been using the Parlec PWS 6900 for about a year. I fits my TOrmach very well. It is a 9" X 6" opening and I can hold just about everything with it. Working in a experimental machining shop of a major aircraft manufacturing company we started using parlec vises several years ago and they perform just a well as the kurt which are also being used. Some of our machinist prefer the Parlec over the Kurt.

Steve

Tormach vise

Do you guys realize the Tormach vise is "Made in USA" it looks just like my Kurt but it's a 5". I did make my own step jaws for my parts as the are mostly 3-4 inches long and I need to machine the ends. Great vise and I still have my Kurt for my conventional mill.
    RAD. Yes those are my initials. Idea, design, build, use. It never ends.
    PCNC1100 Series II, w/S3 upgrade, PDB, ATC & 4th's, PCNC1100 Series II, 4th

Quote Originally Posted by R.DesJardin
    Do you guys realize the Tormach vise is "Made in USA"
    I used to think it was a Conquest Industries "Mini-Mag" ( http://www.conquestind.com/mini_mag.php ) since the specs are identical. But I noticed the other day while cleaning the bottom of my vise that it says "MAGNUN" rather than "MAGNUM" so I'm wondering if it is in fact a knockoff? Or maybe the patternmaker was just having a bad day...

Randy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails magnun.jpg  

I am pretty sure it is a Mini-Mag as well. Can't remember where, but I distinctly remember a picture or video from Tormach that showed the vise and it had "Magnum"milled into the side of it instead of "Tormach" (I figured it was a prototype model). I suppose they could have since gone with a knock-off (doubt it) but it is definitely funnier to think the patternmaker was sleeping that day.

Page 1 of 2 12