585,764 active members*
4,132 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Fadal > just bought my first Fadal

just bought my first Fadal

Sorry for the simple questions, just getting my 3016 up and running.

I have all my part designs in OneCNC and have to choose whether to use the machine in Format 1 or Format 2. I am aware of the limited workpiece locations in Format 1. Any other advantages or disadvantages or either format? I need to choose one.

Should the pull studs be put on with Loctite?

Thanks,
    Robert

Format 1 is fadal like program code. I think that is more apropriate for manualy code writing (more simple), format 2, that is generaly use, is fanuc like.

On pull studs i add only small amounth of greas.

It is not necessary to use locktite on the pull studs. Just make sure they are tight to begin with. As far as limited work piece locations, I don't know of any restrictions of placing your work any where you want it on the table.

Neal

Plenty of E's for Me

The only workpiece limitation I know of in either Format 1 or 2 is the right front corner of the table...that's where I put my coffee. (just kidding)

How many locations (offsets?) do you need? There's G54-G59, or E1-E24, which I usually use.

If you need more than 24 different fixture offsets for a job and have to rely on the controller, then think about using a macro....from the Fadal User manual:

FX1-FX48, FY1-
    FY48, FZ1-FZ48,
    FA1-FA48, FB1-
    FB48: Fixture Offset Variables
    These variables are used to read the current value of each fixture offset. It can also be used to establish or write a value in the table. The current value of any fixture offset can be changed by placing the variable on the left side of the equal sign.
    Examples: FY3 Read/write the Y of fixture three
    FZ34 Read/Write the Z of fixture thirty four

I've got a 10" lathe chuck I try to leave mounted over on one side of the table for a quick round job, indicated in and zero'd at E10. All I have to do for a quicky bolt hole pattern or whatever in a big (or small) lathe part is use E10 in my program and it's all ready to go.

I've found that for 99% of everything I've needed Format 1 has provided more than ample flexibility and control. Your macros and subs give an awful lot of power to manipulate your machine motion. In fact, 99% of the time it's the output of my CAM software that gives me headaches.

I guess I was reffering to the different number of available fixture offsets between Format 1 and 2.

The tech that set up my machine put it in Format 2. My cam software has one Fadal post and about 20 Fanuc posts. I don't know if that means that I have more flexibility in software setup with format 2 (using Fanuc posts)? I have emailed OneCNC to see what they say. I started cutting metal yesterday using one of the Fanuc posts and Format 2.

Thanks,
    Robert

Congratulations on getting up and running. We'll all be interested to see how the machine and Onecnc programming works for you. Best of luck. David

in format 1 the first move is always z home then x any home. in format 2 it does not make this move. I have only used format 2 for probing. only because it does not make that move.

blly

You can still use E words for your fixture offsets in Format 2. The control doesnt care. Also in Format 2 the machine will default to G8(no position check) as were Format 1 defaults G9(position check). G9 will run slower than G8 because it slows the feedrate down at every line of code.

And yes I would use atleast blue loctite on your pullstuds. I use red for extra insurance and you only have to heat it up to get the stud off if you ever need to. Make sure you clean the threads before applying Loctite.