584,871 active members*
5,427 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Uncategorised MetalWorking Machines > Dumb question; how does parting tool mount in turret?

Hybrid View

Dumb question; how does parting tool mount in turret?

We are in need of one and notice that they typically include a thin blade with inserts, and a mounting block that somehow mounts in the turret. I have not seen any bolt holes that would mount it to the turret so curious how they would mount? My OD turning bar channels in the Turret are 1.50" so it accepts .75" turning bars and the clamping wedge is .75".

So do these mount blocks bolt in or is there some other item I need to buy? I have an older Mori SL-15.

http://www.carbidedepot.com/Dynamicl...CategoryID=172

Look at the link above

I have a tool block like that. My block is 1" but my lathe takes 1.25" tooling (the gap is actually 2" or so and the wedge is about 0.75"), so I just use a 0.25" shim (piece of brass) and then I put the wedge in there too.

With my tool block, it was sort of a pain in the butt to get to the bolts that tighten the wedge, but it was do-able.

So basically you just mount the toolblock the same way you mount an OD turning holder.

I think I understand how the blocks are constructed but I am confused if you are supposed to reach around the back somehow to tighten the blocks in or what? It would almost seem like they should be two pieces so you could mount the back part, then the pinch clamp to it. What am I missing here?

Quote Originally Posted by viper6383 View Post
    I think I understand how the blocks are constructed but I am confused if you are supposed to reach around the back somehow to tighten the blocks in or what? It would almost seem like they should be two pieces so you could mount the back part, then the pinch clamp to it. What am I missing here?
    I can only say how mine is - on my block the face of the holder is larger than the back piece (as you know), so it makes it a bit tighter to get in there to tighten the clamp. I have 2 kinds of clamps, one is 2 pieces of tapered stock with a bolt going through them. These get tightened from the front, and as the bolt pulls them together they squeeze apart, tightening the tool. The other type is 2 dome-shaped bolts with a hex at the bottom of the dome (basically just a regular hex bolt but with a domed head instead of a flat head). These you tighten sort of from the side using an open ended wrench instead of an allen/hex key. For my parting tool block I used the domed-head bolt type. There is plenty of room between the larger face of my parting tool and the hex part of the clamp to get the wrench in there to tighten them up.

Have you tried putting the block in the holder and it's not fitting? Or are you going to buy a block and you are assuming that you won't be able to tighten it due to the shape of it? If the latter then I think you will be OK. If the former, you may be able to use a different kind of clamp. I can snap a pic of my clamp on my Okuma if it will help, but basically some way or another you need to just get to the clamp to tighten it in the holder so your block is secure. All the tool blocks I have seen are pretty much the same design, I've never seen a 2-piece one (not that they dont exist, just havent seen it)

Mine would be the later. I need to buy one but not sure on sizes because I do not know how they mount. What I am getting from you is that the holder block will install with enough sticking out to actually get behind it and tighten the allens on the pinch block that you would normally tighten in a turning bar?

Did you say there are some that have bolts come in from the radial part of the holder block and expand the block as it is tightened? Maybe a pic would help if not too much trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by viper6383 View Post
    Mine would be the later. I need to buy one but not sure on sizes because I do not know how they mount. What I am getting from you is that the holder block will install with enough sticking out to actually get behind it and tighten the allens on the pinch block that you would normally tighten in a turning bar?

Did you say there are some that have bolts come in from the radial part of the holder block and expand the block as it is tightened? Maybe a pic would help if not too much trouble.
    I think it will fit fine - I know exactly what you mean but I think there will be enough clearance to get it to fit.

I'll snap a pic after lunch and post it, it'll probably clear it up!