585,676 active members*
4,179 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Garage door height and VF2

I did some checking and found that the Side Mount Tool Changer on the VF2 is 94".

My garage door is 94.5" (I can get 95" by removing the trim.) So, I need to figure out how to "slide" the machine into the shop. I know for a fact that the garage door header is non-bearing so notching (if completely necessary) would be an option.

I was thinking that I could build a dolly of some sort that I could lift the mill a 1/4" or so off the ground. Just enough to make it mobile!

Are the 2 slots in the front of the mill for a fork lift?
    http://www.haascnc.com/VMC_specs.asp...0#VMCTreeModel

The HAAS rep didn't know with conviction weather or not the height of the tool changer was my only height concern. Can the other components be removed to clear my door?

You probably could remove the SMTC sheet metal and get another two inches

Quote Originally Posted by l u k e View Post
    .....I was thinking that I could build a dolly of some sort that I could lift the mill a 1/4" or so off the ground. Just enough to make it mobile!...
    Are you sliding on a firm surface, concrete or black top?

Lay some strips of 1/4" thick UHMW polyethylene on the floor and just slide the machine along these.

About the only thing you might need to do is lift the machine up and chamfer the corners of the 'feet' on the machine. You will need this so they do not tend to cut into the plastic.

These slides and two good Come-Alongs to anchor points drilled into the floor at the back of the garage and you will slide it in as easy as can be.

EDIT: Also to get a bit more height without notching: If the garage walls are not lined so you can get at the bottom plate just detach this from the foundation and jack the entire wall up an inch or so. You can probably do this with a couple of pole jacks under the door header.

I am pretty confident both these ideas will work....because I have done both.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

I do have concrete inside and out side the shop.

Jacking up the shop is not possible.

My first thought was to sit the machine on a 1/2" thick piece of plywood, throw down sand on the concrete and drag it in that way.

Haas has instructions for getting it through doors down to 72" (I think) on the VF2. My door is 84", they are delivering my VF2 on Friday.

.....My first thought was to sit the machine on a 1/2" thick piece of plywood, throw down sand on the concrete and drag it in that way.
    You will find the UHMW is much more slippy than the sand under plywood.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Not necessary... Talk to your HFO, they have instructions on which parts to remove in order to get each machine through various sized doors.

Quote Originally Posted by Geof View Post
    You will find the UHMW is much more slippy than the sand under plywood.

If your concrete floor is reasonable smooth you should be able to slide on the concrete.
    22 gauge sheet metal will help.
    I dragged my 9000lb machine centre like this.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMAGE0102.JPG.jpg   IMAGE0104.JPG.jpg   IMAGE0106.JPG.jpg  

I moved mine in with a pallet jack

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
    If your concrete floor is reasonable smooth you should be able to side on the concrete.
    22 gauge sheet metal will help.
    I dragged my 9000lb machine centre like this.
    Now that's tight! Pretty close to what I'm looking at.

Quote Originally Posted by jmcglynn View Post
    Not necessary... Talk to your HFO, they have instructions on which parts to remove in order to get each machine through various sized doors.
    I did and they offered no such info. All I got was a drawing showing the height of the tool changer.

Are the 2 slots in the front of the mill for a fork lift?
    http://www.haascnc.com/VMC_MODEL_20IN.asp#VMCTreeModel

Are the 2 slots in the front of the mill for a fork lift?l
    No. IIRC: they are designed to fork from the side. Those holes are so you can get inside the sheetmetal to the leveling feet on the front of the casting.
    Greg